On November 6, 2014, Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Counsel Alison King was honored by Brooklyn Family Defense Practice (BFDP) for “her commitment to social justice and dedication to BFDP’s mission of keeping families together” at a gala event at City Bakery in Manhattan. BFDP Director Lauren Shapiro thanked Alison for having been a strong supporter of BFDP since 2009. Kaye Scholer sent a public interest associate to work as a part-time intern at BFDP in 2010; since then, several litigation associates have worked on BFDP cases, including New York Associates Amanda Croushore and Alice Huling, both of whom now serve on BFDP’s Associates’ Advisory Board.
BFDP is part of Brooklyn Defender Services, Brooklyn’s largest legal services provider, which represents 45,000 low-income Brooklyn residents each year. Funded in large part by the City of New York, BFDP has been providing interdisciplinary legal representation to parents in child welfare cases in Brooklyn Family Court since 2007. Its team of attorneys, social workers and parent advocates fights for clients’ due process in family court while helping them get the benefits and services they need to keep their families together in the face of significant legal and economic challenges. BFDP partners with several major New York law firms, resulting in hundreds of hours of pro bono work for clients and excellent litigation experience for associates, including drafting motions, arguing appeals, working with experts and conducting depositions.
Also of Interest
- Harty Receives Lawyers Alliance 2016 Cornerstone Award November 18, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Named a Law360 Pro Bono Firm of the Year October 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Summer Associates Successfully Assist Transgender Clients July 27, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Pro Bono Victory for Father Falsely Accused of Child Abuse July 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Chicago Team Receives 2016 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service May 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Assad Rajani Awarded Two California Pro Bono Distinctions April 26, 2016 • Recognitions