The Daily Journal, a leading California legal publication, has named Los Angeles Litigation partner Pamela Yates and Silicon Valley Corporate special counsel Diane Holt Frankle to its annual list of “Top Women Lawyers” in California. The 2016 list features 97 female lawyers who have played significant roles in California's legal market.
Yates, who notes that she “loves the intersection between the science and the law," is profiled this year for leading four cases for Philip Morris USA Inc. in the last three years, as well as her recent, major victory of convincing an eight-person jury that the plaintiff's cancer did not bear any of the hallmarks of cases traditionally linked to smoking. She’s also noted for handling crucial cross-examinations of experts in a case defending her client Pfizer Inc. from allegations that its anti-depressant, Zoloft, caused birth defects. Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP led the case on behalf of Pfizer, but Yates handled an eight-day, cross-examination that limited the scope of the complaint and got the remaining claims thrown out on a second cross that lasted three days. "I was privileged to be the cross-examiner, but the teams worked very well together," she said.
In their profile on Frankle, the Daily Journal highlighted one of her more recent deals, Veeva Systems Inc.'s $130 million purchase of U.K.-based Zinc Ahead Ltd., which demanded a hybrid set of terms based on vastly different corporate codes in the US and England. Frankle’s work for Veeva counts as one of more than 100 deals, valued close to $12 billion, which she has made over the course of her career. “My career has been based on building bridges and building consensus,” she told the Journal. As a “collaboration junkie” who likes people, cross-border transactions provide her the opportunity to find the win-win – her deal-making style. “That's what drives me," she said.
Each year, the Daily Journal reviews hundreds of nominations from law firms, public agencies, nonprofits and universities before choosing lawyers whose work is having a broad impact on the California legal community for its Top Women Lawyers list. Both Yates and Frankle have been consistently recognized with this distinction.
Also of Interest
- Culhane Quoted in Private Funds Management on Fund-Related Legal Fees October 25, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Kaye Scholer Practices and Partners Nationwide October 24, 2016 • Recognitions
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles