The Daily Journal, a leading California legal publication, has named Los Angeles Litigation partner Pamela Yates and Silicon Valley Corporate special counsel Diane Holt Frankle to its annual list of “Top Women Lawyers” in California. The 2016 list features 97 female lawyers who have played significant roles in California's legal market.
Yates, who notes that she “loves the intersection between the science and the law," is profiled this year for leading four cases for Philip Morris USA Inc. in the last three years, as well as her recent, major victory of convincing an eight-person jury that the plaintiff's cancer did not bear any of the hallmarks of cases traditionally linked to smoking. She’s also noted for handling crucial cross-examinations of experts in a case defending her client Pfizer Inc. from allegations that its anti-depressant, Zoloft, caused birth defects. Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP led the case on behalf of Pfizer, but Yates handled an eight-day, cross-examination that limited the scope of the complaint and got the remaining claims thrown out on a second cross that lasted three days. "I was privileged to be the cross-examiner, but the teams worked very well together," she said.
In their profile on Frankle, the Daily Journal highlighted one of her more recent deals, Veeva Systems Inc.'s $130 million purchase of U.K.-based Zinc Ahead Ltd., which demanded a hybrid set of terms based on vastly different corporate codes in the US and England. Frankle’s work for Veeva counts as one of more than 100 deals, valued close to $12 billion, which she has made over the course of her career. “My career has been based on building bridges and building consensus,” she told the Journal. As a “collaboration junkie” who likes people, cross-border transactions provide her the opportunity to find the win-win – her deal-making style. “That's what drives me," she said.
Each year, the Daily Journal reviews hundreds of nominations from law firms, public agencies, nonprofits and universities before choosing lawyers whose work is having a broad impact on the California legal community for its Top Women Lawyers list. Both Yates and Frankle have been consistently recognized with this distinction.
Also of Interest
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes