The United States District Court, in conjunction with the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, has presented Litigation partner Z. Scott and associates Daniel Meyers and Emily Newhouse Dillingham with an Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service to recognize their work on behalf of Elise Dixon-Roper in USA v. Rashid et al. This award honors area attorneys for their contributions toward helping people most in need of assistance before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Kaye Scholer represented Illinois attorney Elise Dixon-Roper in a federal criminal case from the pre-indictment stage to sentencing. Ms. Dixon-Roper was indicted for mortgage fraud along with two additional defendants. She pled guilty to the crime with the expectation that issues related to sentencing would be provided to the court by the government and defense in a sentencing hearing and in related motion practice before Judge Robert Gettleman of the Northern District of Illinois.
During the sentencing hearing, the government attempted to base the length of Ms. Dixon-Roper’s sentence on the loss in value of the properties associated with her fraudulent acts. Ms. Dixon-Roper’s legal team presented evidence that the government was improperly attempting to charge Ms. Dixon-Roper with a collapse in property values even though certain financial institutions did not lose any money on transactions related to the properties at issue. In doing so, the Kaye Scholer team demonstrated that the government had not thoroughly investigated the complex mortgage investment process or the mortgage crisis and the unreliability of this information for purposes of criminal sentencing—legal theories the court had not previously considered.
The award will be presented at the Seventeenth Annual Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Service Award Ceremony on Wednesday, May 25.
Also of Interest
- And Now A Word From The Panel: MDL Venue Choices November 30, 2016 • Articles
- Harty Receives Lawyers Alliance 2016 Cornerstone Award November 18, 2016 • Recognitions
- Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association Honors Waks November 17, 2016 • Recognitions
- Second Circuit Expands Split on Nominative Fair Use November 16, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Chambers UK 2017 Recognizes London Partners and Aviation Finance Practice November 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Lattanzio Receives NYSBA Pro Bono Award November 3, 2016 • Recognitions
- US News–Best Lawyers Recognizes 32 Kaye Scholer Practices and 41 Lawyers November 1, 2016 • Recognitions