The Daily Journal has named Silicon Valley IP partner Michael Malecek to its 2016 ranking of the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” in California. This honor is the fifth time since 2010 that the leading California legal publication has named Malecek to its annual list.
The Daily Journal makes its selections from the numerous nominations it receives after careful consideration of each nominee’s major intellectual property success over the last year.
As part of a special report accompanying its list, the Daily Journal prepared a profile focusing on Malecek’s success with Alphabet Inc., the parent company of Google Inc., and a host of other technology and life sciences companies.
For Google and its Motorola Mobility unit, later sold to Chinese technology company Lenovo, Malecek won a jury verdict in the Eastern District of Texas in September 2015 on infringement claims by patent holding firm Pendrell Corp.’s ContentGuard Holdings Inc. ContentGuard sought more than $500 million in infringement damages based on the use of the Google Play Movie & TV and Google Play Books applications on Android devices.
“The verdict vindicated the position of Google and its Android partners that the Google Play Movies and TV and Google Play Books applications utilize DRM technologies that are fundamentally different from those claimed in ContentGuard’s patents,” Malecek explained.
Noting the challenges involved in the case, he added: “The ContentGuard win was especially gratifying given that it was in plaintiff-friendly Eastern District of Texas against a high-caliber opponent.”
Also of Interest
- PTAB Monitor: Developments in Inter Partes Review Practice December 9, 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- Law360 Names Blank a 2016 Intellectual Property MVP December 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- Second Circuit Expands Split on Nominative Fair Use November 16, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- US News–Best Lawyers Recognizes 32 Kaye Scholer Practices and 41 Lawyers November 1, 2016 • Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Kaye Scholer Practices and Partners Nationwide October 24, 2016 • Recognitions
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles