The Daily Journal has named Silicon Valley IP partner Michael Malecek to its 2016 ranking of the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” in California. This honor is the fifth time since 2010 that the leading California legal publication has named Malecek to its annual list.
The Daily Journal makes its selections from the numerous nominations it receives after careful consideration of each nominee’s major intellectual property success over the last year.
As part of a special report accompanying its list, the Daily Journal prepared a profile focusing on Malecek’s success with Alphabet Inc., the parent company of Google Inc., and a host of other technology and life sciences companies.
For Google and its Motorola Mobility unit, later sold to Chinese technology company Lenovo, Malecek won a jury verdict in the Eastern District of Texas in September 2015 on infringement claims by patent holding firm Pendrell Corp.’s ContentGuard Holdings Inc. ContentGuard sought more than $500 million in infringement damages based on the use of the Google Play Movie & TV and Google Play Books applications on Android devices.
“The verdict vindicated the position of Google and its Android partners that the Google Play Movies and TV and Google Play Books applications utilize DRM technologies that are fundamentally different from those claimed in ContentGuard’s patents,” Malecek explained.
Noting the challenges involved in the case, he added: “The ContentGuard win was especially gratifying given that it was in plaintiff-friendly Eastern District of Texas against a high-caliber opponent.”
Also of Interest
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- 3D Printing: New Life Sciences Technology and Old Product Liability Claims August 1, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Secures Complete Motion to Dismiss for Redwood Capital July 22, 2016 • Client Successes
- NISPOM’s New Insider Threat Program Is an Opportunity to Establish Competitive Edge July 13, 2016 • Client Alerts