On December 12, 2008, the Ministry of Commerce (the "MOC") posted on its official site the Notice on Further Simplifying and Standardizing Administrative Approving Procedures for Foreign Investment (the "Notice"), effective August 26, 2008. Under the Notice, approval of a non-material change of a foreign-invested enterprise ("FIE") such as changes in the company name, investors, registered address (within the same city), number of directors, business term and other matters, is delegated to the MOC's provincial counterparts, although these were originally approved by the MOC. Furthermore, approval of the changes of FIEs (except for holding companies and those FIEs subject to special regulation or industry policy), where establishment was originally approved by the MOC, despite their total amount of investment being lower than the statutory limits (i.e. USD100 million for FIEs within the encouraged and permitted categories, and USD50 million for FIEs within the restricted category) is delegated to the MOC's provincial counterparts as well. The Notice may increase efficacy for firms that wish to make minor adjustments to their operations.
Copyright ©2009 by Kaye Scholer LLP. All Rights Reserved. This publication is intended as a general guide only. It does not contain a general legal analysis or constitute an opinion of Kaye Scholer LLP or any member of the firm on the legal issues described. It is recommended that readers not rely on this general guide but that professional advice be sought in connection with individual matters. References herein to "Kaye Scholer LLP & Affiliates," "Kaye Scholer," "Kaye Scholer LLP," "the firm" and terms of similar import refer to Kaye Scholer LLP and its affiliates operating in various jurisdictions.
Also of Interest
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter | Spring 2016 March 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- Q&A with Alice Young: Diversity Experiences and Achieving Success in the Legal Profession April 6, 2015 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer’s Shanghai Corporate Team Recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 2014年11月5日 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer’s Global Capabilities Recognized in IFLR1000 2015 October 27, 2014 • Recognitions
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Summer 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- How Chinese Companies Can Successfully Invest in the United States June 30, 2014 • Articles
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Spring 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- Kaye Scholer Recognized in Six Practice Areas Worldwide in Chambers Global 2014 March 13, 2014 • Recognitions
- Shanghai Corporate Department Recognized by Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 February 18, 2014 • Recognitions