On January 23, 2009, the State Administration of Taxation issued the Circular on Issues Concerning QFII's Payment of Obligation for Withholding Tax on PRC-Sourced Dividend, Profit Distribution and Interest Income (the "Circular"). The Circular clarifies that, according to the new Enterprise Income Tax Law and its Implementation Rules, withholding tax shall be levied at a rate of ten percent on QFIIs' PRC-sourced dividend profit and interest income upon payment of dividend, profit and interest by PRC-resident enterprise. An eligible QFII may apply to the PRC tax authority for tax relief under applicable tax treaties and enjoy preferential treatment as provided in such tax treaties, which may result in a tax refund. The Circular changes the previous practice in which QFIIs were not required to pay any PRC tax.
Copyright ©2009 by Kaye Scholer LLP. All Rights Reserved. This publication is intended as a general guide only. It does not contain a general legal analysis or constitute an opinion of Kaye Scholer LLP or any member of the firm on the legal issues described. It is recommended that readers not rely on this general guide but that professional advice be sought in connection with individual matters. References herein to "Kaye Scholer LLP & Affiliates," "Kaye Scholer," "Kaye Scholer LLP," "the firm" and terms of similar import refer to Kaye Scholer LLP and its affiliates operating in various jurisdictions.
Also of Interest
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter | Spring 2016 March 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- Q&A with Alice Young: Diversity Experiences and Achieving Success in the Legal Profession April 6, 2015 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer’s Shanghai Corporate Team Recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 2014年11月5日 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer’s Global Capabilities Recognized in IFLR1000 2015 October 27, 2014 • Recognitions
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Summer 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- How Chinese Companies Can Successfully Invest in the United States June 30, 2014 • Articles
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Spring 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- Kaye Scholer Recognized in Six Practice Areas Worldwide in Chambers Global 2014 March 13, 2014 • Recognitions
- Shanghai Corporate Department Recognized by Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 February 18, 2014 • Recognitions