On February 28, 2009, the Revised Insurance Law of the People's Republic of China (the "Insurance Law") was passed at the Seventh Session of the Standing Committee of the Eleventh National People's Congress, effective October, 1, 2009. The Insurance Law includes 29 newly-added clauses, which supplement existing provisions relating to insurance contracts, and highlight the protection of legitimate rights and interests of policy-holders and insured parties. The Insurance Law further clarifies start-up and operation rules for insurance firms and provides for a new way of "investing in real estate" by utilizing insurance funds. Moreover, specific qualifications for shareholders and senior management personnel of insurance firms are stipulated. For example, the main shareholders of an insurance company must have the capacity to consistently make profits and a net capital of no less than RMB200 million. The shareholders must also have a sound credit standing and may not have records of any significant illegal activity within the latest three years. The Insurance Law also provides that shareholders, controllers, directors, supervisors and senior management personnel shall not infringe on a company's interests by engaging in affiliated transactions.
Copyright ©2009 by Kaye Scholer LLP. All Rights Reserved. This publication is intended as a general guide only. It does not contain a general legal analysis or constitute an opinion of Kaye Scholer LLP or any member of the firm on the legal issues described. It is recommended that readers not rely on this general guide but that professional advice be sought in connection with individual matters. References herein to "Kaye Scholer LLP & Affiliates," "Kaye Scholer," "Kaye Scholer LLP," "the firm" and terms of similar import refer to Kaye Scholer LLP and its affiliates operating in various jurisdictions.
Also of Interest
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter | Spring 2016 March 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- Q&A with Alice Young: Diversity Experiences and Achieving Success in the Legal Profession April 6, 2015 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer’s Shanghai Corporate Team Recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 2014年11月5日 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer’s Global Capabilities Recognized in IFLR1000 2015 October 27, 2014 • Recognitions
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Summer 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- How Chinese Companies Can Successfully Invest in the United States June 30, 2014 • Articles
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Spring 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- Kaye Scholer Recognized in Six Practice Areas Worldwide in Chambers Global 2014 March 13, 2014 • Recognitions
- Shanghai Corporate Department Recognized by Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 February 18, 2014 • Recognitions