Delaware Court Refuses to Hold that a Reverse Triangular Merger Does Not Violate Anti-Assignment Clause
Summary: In a recent case, Meso Scale Diagnostics, LLC and Meso Scale Technologies, LLC v. Roche Diagnostics GmbH et al., decided on April 8, 2011, the Delaware Chancery Court considered whether an anti-assignment clause applicable to intellectual property rights of an acquisition target would be triggered by a reverse triangular merger. A “reverse triangular” merger is an acquisition structure in which the acquirer forms a shell subsidiary and merges it into the target company, with the result that the target survives and becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of the acquirer.
In the absence of definitive case law, practitioners have generally considered this type of merger not to trigger anti-assignment clauses. In this case, the Court refused to find that a reverse triangular does not constitute an assignment, thereby allowing that a reverse triangular merger may constitute an assignment.
The attached Client Alert reviews the ruling and discusses the need for extreme caution when analyzing anti-assignment clauses in connection with a proposed merger transaction, especially in the context of licenses and other agreements governing intellectual property rights.
Also of Interest
- Kaye Scholer Advises Celestica in Asset Acquisition from Karel Manufacturing December 9, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Bregal, Motion Equity in Morrison Utility Services Sale November 7, 2016 • Client Successes