Delaware Court Refuses to Hold that a Reverse Triangular Merger Does Not Violate Anti-Assignment Clause
Summary: In a recent case, Meso Scale Diagnostics, LLC and Meso Scale Technologies, LLC v. Roche Diagnostics GmbH et al., decided on April 8, 2011, the Delaware Chancery Court considered whether an anti-assignment clause applicable to intellectual property rights of an acquisition target would be triggered by a reverse triangular merger. A “reverse triangular” merger is an acquisition structure in which the acquirer forms a shell subsidiary and merges it into the target company, with the result that the target survives and becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of the acquirer.
In the absence of definitive case law, practitioners have generally considered this type of merger not to trigger anti-assignment clauses. In this case, the Court refused to find that a reverse triangular does not constitute an assignment, thereby allowing that a reverse triangular merger may constitute an assignment.
The attached Client Alert reviews the ruling and discusses the need for extreme caution when analyzing anti-assignment clauses in connection with a proposed merger transaction, especially in the context of licenses and other agreements governing intellectual property rights.
Also of Interest
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles