Summary: In its June 13, 2011 decision in Janus Capital Group, Inc. v. First Derivative Traders, the Supreme Court adopted a bright line test to determine who is a primary actor for the purposes of Rule 10b-5, expressly holding that only the actual maker of the statement may be held liable. In a September 30 decision released by the United States District Court in the Southern District of New York in City of Roseville Employees’ Retirement System v. EnergySolutions, the court seized on the Supreme Court’s phrase “ultimate control” to deny a motion to dismiss a complaint seeking to hold a parent corporation liable for alleged misrepresentations in a registration statement issued by its subsidiary. In doing so, the district court has potentially created a huge exception to Janus that is inconsistent with the Supreme Court’s ruling.
Under the district court’s analysis, a parent that is the sole owner of the issuer could be per se liable under Janus. The district court has adopted a standard that is substantially weaker than the standard for veil piercing as well as the requirements under Section 20 of the 1934 Act, potentially making any controlling shareholder liable. This client alert discusses the implications of this decision and the liability risks created for parent corporations or controlling shareholders.
Also of Interest
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Golodner Quoted in IFLR on Proposed NYS Digital Security Laws November 29, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- The Strategic View—Aviation UK November 17, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Who’s the Lender? Two “True Lender” Cases with Implications for Marketplace Platforms November 10, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles