Relief from CFTC's New Commodity Pool Regulation May Be In Sight for Certain Securitization Transactions as Deadline Looms
Summary: Under new Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) rules scheduled to become effective on October 12th of this year, if an investment trust or similar entity is viewed as "trading" in swaps, its sponsor and other responsible parties may be required to register with the CFTC as "commodity pool operators" (CPOs) or may be required to register as “commodity trading advisors” (CTAs). There has been concern that holding even one swap will be treated as “trading.” Accordingly, any securitization vehicle that holds a swap would then be subject to possible CFTC regulation, and any such vehicle sponsored by a banking entity would be considered at risk for treatment as a “commodity pool,” and therefore a “covered fund” under the proposed Volcker Rule regulations.
Industry participants have been seeking relief from the CFTC, and have received preliminary indications that some form of relief will be made available. It is hoped that any such relief would be in the form of an exemptive order, and that the CFTC would provide relief on a temporary basis, pending the effective date of such an exemptive order, by a no-action letter no later than October 12th. The scope and timing of such any such exemptive order remains uncertain.
This client alert supersedes our client alert dated September 28, 2012, issued prior to the most recent developments, and describes certain factors which will have to be considered, as any no-action letter or exemptive order is considered.
Also of Interest
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Asghar Quoted in Airfinance Journal on Iran Aseman Airlines October 10, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Represents Investors in Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Litigation September 28, 2016 • Client Successes
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Axford and Williams Discuss UK Influence on EU Banking Rules in Law360 September 21, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Advises The Mortgage Lender on £250 Million Warehouse Financing September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes