UK HM Revenue and Customs Propose Significant Clampdown in Consultation on the Taxation of UK LLPs and Partnerships
Summary: On May 20, 2013, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the UK revenue authority, published a consultation document focusing on two aspects of the taxation of partnerships, and, in particular, UK limited liability partnerships (LLPs): disguised employment and profit and loss allocation schemes.
It is expected that a large number of professional (legal and accounting) and financial services firms established as LLPs, which, in many ways, are similar to US LLCs, will need to review their set-ups. Equally, the proposals will be of significant concern to the UK investment management industry, and in particular the private equity and hedge fund sectors, where most businesses are set up as LLPs.
Under the consultation, comments are invited by August 9, 2013. However, the feedback sought is in many instances limited to the design of the proposed changes to the current tax rules; there are clear statements from HMRC that the anti-avoidance measures will be introduced to counter perceived unfairness in the UK tax system. The changes, once final, are to come into force with effect from April 6, 2014.
Also of Interest
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Chambers UK 2017 Recognizes London Partners and Aviation Finance Practice November 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Advises Bregal, Motion Equity in Morrison Utility Services Sale November 7, 2016 • Client Successes
- US News–Best Lawyers Recognizes 32 Kaye Scholer Practices and 41 Lawyers November 1, 2016 • Recognitions
- Culhane Quoted in Private Funds Management on Fund-Related Legal Fees October 25, 2016 • Media Mentions
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes