Summary: BaFin’s new FAQ regarding its Circular 06/2013 (BA) – Requirements for Systems and Controls Relating to Algorithmic Trading by Institutions (the Circular) provides more precise information regarding certain statements in the Circular. In algorithmic trading computers implement trading strategies without further human input. In order to limit the risks that can arise and prevent market manipulation, ESMA released certain guidelines in 2013. As a result, the requirements under the German Banking Act and the Securities Trading Act were modified. The Circular sets out in principles-oriented fashion requirements that institutions must observe if they engage in algorithmic trading and provide either direct of assisted market access.
The FAQ, published on 6 May 2014, are intended to clarify the regulatory expectations of BaFin and to explain existing requirements. The present Client Alert supplements our Client Alert dated 2 May 2014 and summarizes the FAQ.
Also of Interest
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Axford and Williams Discuss UK Influence on EU Banking Rules in Law360 September 21, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Advises The Mortgage Lender on £250 Million Warehouse Financing September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Airfinance Journal Names Kaye Scholer as a Top Firm August 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- ETF.com Featured Moriarty in “How ‘Women in ETFs’ is Making Inroads” August 5, 2016 • Media Mentions
- FDIC Releases Proposed Examination Guidance for Third-Party Lending August 2, 2016 • Client Alerts