As required by Section 72001 of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, the SEC has adopted an interim final amendment permitting issuers to include a summary in Form 10-K filings, subject to specified conditions, while recognizing that existing rules don’t prohibit the inclusion of a summary or other voluntary information in a Form 10-K.
The amendment adds new Item 16 to expressly allow a registrant, at its option, to include a summary, provided that each summary topic is hyperlinked to the related, more detailed disclosure item in the Form 10-K. A registrant may decide which items to summarize as long as the information is presented fairly and accurately. The new item does not address the length or location of the summary.
If the summary discusses information incorporated by reference into the Form 10-K from an included exhibit, it must include a hyperlink to the discussion in such exhibit. However, the summary may only summarize information that is included in the Form 10-K at the time of filing. As a result, registrants will not be permitted to summarize Part III information incorporated by reference from a to-be-filed proxy or information statement, and in that case the summary must indicate that it omits the Part III information (however, registrants need not update the summary to reflect such Part III information when it is filed).
The amendment will affect registrants that currently include summaries in their Form 10-Ks (and intend to continue to do so) but don’t cross-reference items, use cross-references other than hyperlinks or use hyperlinks for only some disclosure topics included in the summary.
Because the amendment conforms Form 10-K to the requirements of the FAST Act, and involves minimal exercise of discretion, the SEC determined that notice and public comment were unnecessary prior to effectiveness and found good cause for the amendment to take effect upon publication in the Federal Register. Comments have been requested.
Also of Interest
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters