» Counsel Greg Xethalis discusses the impact of Bitcoin and Blockchain technology,
as well as Kaye Scholer's primer on these exciting new IT breakthroughs.
Trying to explain Bitcoin in short form is no easy task, but it greatly helps when one understands what it is—and what it is not.
Bitcoin is both an information technology breakthrough and an intangible unit of account underpinning a decentralized computer network of users. Bitcoin is not a company or company product, and contrary to many news reports, it is not anonymous and was not built for bad actors. Bitcoin technology began to enter the public discourse in 2011, largely through the association as an anonymous payment system used on illicit and underground websites. As with most innovations described first in tabloid format, the story mischaracterized the breakthrough and failed to touch on the most important and varied potentials of what Bitcoin and its associated “Blockchain” technology promise.
This primer will attempt to reboot your introduction to Bitcoin and convey some of the reasons why many in the information technology and financial sectors are excited about the area and its promise. A glossary of common terms also appears at the end of the primer.
Also of Interest
- Culhane Quoted in Private Funds Management on Fund-Related Legal Fees October 25, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Kaye Scholer Practices and Partners Nationwide October 24, 2016 • Recognitions
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Asghar Quoted in Airfinance Journal on Iran Aseman Airlines October 10, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles