On an international basis, the Kaye Scholer Private Clients team counsels clients on wealth preservation matters as they relate to an array of U.S. and global issues.
U.S. Cross-Border Transfer Tax, Income Tax and Charitable Planning
The Private Clients team assists numerous international families and corporate fiduciaries with connections to the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, Switzerland, Brazil, Israel, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and other jurisdictions in dealing with a host of strategic planning issues. These include U.S. income and transfer tax issues, as well as trust and probate issues, arising from foreign investment in U.S. real estate and other U.S. situs assets, migration to and from the United States, the consequences of maintaining permanent residency in the U.S. (i.e., holding a greencard), expatriation and asset protection planning, as well as tax compliance and reporting for U.S. persons with investments outside the United States, related voluntary disclosure proceedings with the IRS, and issues and compliance surrounding U.S. persons with interests in foreign trusts and foreign companies (under the CFC and PFIC regimes). We also help international clients to achieve significant tax benefits through our knowledge of the cross-border regimes regarding residence and domicile.
In addition, the team helps clients find appropriate ways of using their wealth philanthropically, reflecting their personal interests, goals and circumstances, and reducing taxes to a minimum. This can involve the creation of U.S.-qualified, U.K.-qualified and dual U.K./U.S.-qualified charitable structures to support charitable causes and giving by U.S. individuals resident in the United Kingdom. We also advise on the ongoing compliance and operation of charitable structures, including the best ways to involve other family members in the charity. Some of these charities conceive and manage their own projects, while others make grants to support existing organizations.
In the Market
- Four Strategies to Improve Cross-Border Investigation Readiness April 13, 2015 • Articles
- Corporate Alert: Commerce Department Requires US Companies to Submit Filings Regarding Certain Foreign Affiliates April 10, 2015 • Client Alerts
- Judgment Recognizes Arbitral Award Against Foreign State March 13, 2015 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Hosts International Compliance Seminar in Frankfurt March 12, 2015 • Seminars
- Countdown of China’s Top Legal Developments of 2013 January 22 • Client Alerts
- Kaye Scholer Scores 13 Practice and 39 Lawyer Rankings in Chambers USA June 7 • Recognitions
- Joel Greenberg, Diane Holt Frankle and Farhad Jalinous Will Speak at ABA Business Law Section’s Global Business Law Forum September 21 – 23, 2011 • Speaking Engagements
- Kaye Scholer Expands Its International Banking and Finance Capabilities 22. Juni 2011 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Expands Corporate & Finance Department January 27 • Firm News