Combining long-standing practice excellence with deep industry knowledge, our Energy & Infrastructure Group is a recognized leader for our approach to energy and infrastructure as an investment asset class. As a result, leading investors, sponsors, developers, lenders, utilities and governments rely on us for the purchase and sale, capitalization and financing, planning and structuring, and permitting and regulation of energy and infrastructure assets around the globe. Drawing on a multidisciplinary group of more than 30 corporate, finance, litigation, bankruptcy, tax and regulatory lawyers in six offices on three continents, we take a holistic approach to assessing and completing energy and infrastructure projects, investments or transactions.
In the Market
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- Reuters Interviews Rutenberg and Greenblatt on Energy Industry MLP Trends March 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Reuters Interviews Rutenberg on Recent MLP Ruling’s Energy Sector Implications March 10, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Representation Helps Protect the Public Interest in Proposed Utility Company Merger August 31, 2015 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Gravity Midstream on Bank Loans August 27, 2015 • Client Successes
- Randy Speck Named Chair of the Sustainability Energy Utility Advisory Board August 26, 2015 • Recognitions
- Best Lawyers 2016 Recognizes 45 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 17, 2015 • Recognitions
- Stephen Rutenberg Talks MLPs and Energy Companies in Bloomberg’s Bankruptcy & Restructuring Brief May 7, 2015 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Earns 75 Practice Rankings in U.S. News-Best Lawyers’ “Best Law Firms” 2015 November 3, 2014 • Recognitions
The Numbers: Our Accomplishments
- 30+ Years our nationally recognized practice has been active in energy markets
- 5 Number of continents on which we’ve advised on energy and infrastructure projects
- $500 million Value of a first-of-its-kind investment in a 1,500 MW wind farm portfolio on which we advised
Capabilities: How We Do It
- “Can do” attitude and trailblazing approaches: We combine financial acumen gleaned from nearly 100 years as a Wall Street firm with our long track record working with innovative companies to address complex energy and infrastructure transactions or resolve disputes around the globe, from deepwater drilling in the South China Sea to structuring one of the first carbon credit-related forestry funds in the UK to successfully advising ExxonMobil on a class action suit.
- Traditional and alternative energy experience: Our work extends to helping support the development of oil fields in the Middle East and North Africa, waste-to-ethanol facilities in China, and negotiating the largest US wind power purchasing agreement ever signed.
- Geographic reach: Our lawyers may be found assisting on energy and infrastructure projects in Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, China, Europe, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Korea, Malaysia, Nigeria, Oman, South Africa and the United States, to name just a few countries.
Our lawyers have experience advising on a variety of infrastructure projects both in the US and internationally, including municipal water systems, ports, urban mass transit, commuter rail, airport connector lines and international airports as well as social infrastructure projects such as stadia/arenas and educational facilities. While we are best known for representing the project developers in these transactions, we also regularly advise sponsors, contractors, sovereign governments, governmental agencies, commercial banks, investment banks, institutional and other investors, lenders and borrowers.
Kaye Scholer’s energy litigation practice handles a variety of complex proceedings across the full spectrum of the energy landscape and appears before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), state utility commissions, state and federal courts, as well as arbitral tribunals.
Our work in the nuclear power plant arena covers all aspects of the plant’s lifecycle, from initial licensing and site selection through decommissioning and spent fuel storage. We have represented clients in proceedings related to Connecticut Yankee, Diablo Canyon, H.B. Robinson, Maine Yankee, McGuire, Salem, Seabrook, Summer, Yankee Rowe, Zion, the Angra Nuclear Power Plant in Brazil, and the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant in the Philippines.
Kaye Scholer is experienced in the development and financing of US and international oil and gas projects and regularly represents oil and gas companies in whole-business and asset acquisitions and dispositions. We have represented large Western interests in joint venture development of oil and gas fields in Siberia with affiliates of Gazprom, and are experienced in financings with international financial agencies such as the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, the International Finance Corporation subsidiary of the World Bank and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- Renewable Energy
Kaye Scholer has one of the nation’s leading practices devoted to renewable energy transactions, including, in particular, wind, solar, waste-to-energy and other renewable energy projects. Our lawyers have represented many of the industry’s leading developers, sponsor equity investors, tax equity investors and lenders on projects in the US, Europe and Latin America. We structure and advise on cutting-edge deals including Yieldcos and asset-backed securitizations, and we assisted in drafting the first-of-their-kind regulations for the development of offshore wind.