Getting ahead is more than just moving forward. Few investment professionals understand this more than Kaye Scholer’s Investment Management Group. With decades of experience spanning countless market cycles, our lawyers effectively and efficiently drive the commercial agreements and legal documentation underpinning innovative, protective and compliant investment funds and management companies that help make the alternative investment funds industry one of the most powerful engines for creating economic value for investors across the globe.
In the Market
- Culhane Quoted in Private Funds Management on Fund-Related Legal Fees October 25, 2016 • Media Mentions
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Practices and Attorneys Recognized by Chambers USA 2016 May 31, 2016 • Recognitions
- Chambers Global 2016 Recognizes Kaye Scholer Lawyers March 2016 • Recognitions
- Best Lawyers UK 2017 Recognizes Firth and Axford January 28, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Advises ACCION International Pro Bono on Ugandan Microfinance Partnership December 2015 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Represents AGF in FFCM Ownership Stake November 20, 2015 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Highgate Capital Management on Inaugural Fund Launch October 28, 2015 • Client Successes
The Numbers: Our Accomplishments
- 80+ Funds and investors represented
- 5 Offices, across three continents, with Investment Management Group capabilities
- 30+ Lawyers with Investment Management Group worldwide
Capabilities: How We Do It
- Comprehensive Coverage—We serve the global investment management industry by providing a full range of legal services to US and international private investment funds, investment managers, institutional investors, fund distributors, and service providers, including fund formation and tax structuring, management group structuring, investor relations and representations, ownership and compensation arrangements, customer documentation, compliance policies or procedures, fund regulation and compliance across multiple regimes, and secondaries transactions.
- Full Spectrum Fund Classes & Strategies— We advise domestic and international clients across the full spectrum of their respective onshore and offshore alternative investment funds and corresponding strategies, with a primary focus on hedge, venture capital, private equity, real estate, hybrid, geographic and industry-focused funds, and more.
- Unique Understanding—Our experience on both sides of the manager-investor equation gives us extensive insight into market trends, developments, and terms and conditions—and how to best execute them.
- Critical Connections—Established relationships throughout the investment management community enable us to work effectively with fund service providers and around occurrences that other firms find problematic.
- Seamless Service—Immediate access to our leading international tax, M&A, capital markets, financing, litigation and regulatory lawyers means we efficiently provide solutions to challenging issues.
- Global Solutions—Our multidisciplinary approach and global capabilities well position us to provide guidance across geographies, including Asia, Europe, Latin America and North America, and help accomplish our clients’ business and investment management goals on a global scale.
Fund Formation and Tax Structuring
- Five Oaks Investment Corp. (a Maryland corporation that operates as a mortgage REIT): Structuring, formation and initial public offering, as well as a concurrent private placement to an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of XL Group plc, which together raised $85.5 million. We also represented its management company, Oak Circle Capital Partners LLC, in connection with its formation and completion of its initial equity funding, as well as with its SEC registration as an Exempt Reporting Adviser.
- Healthy Planet Partners: A significant debt and equity fund focused on investments in distributed generation assets and energy efficiency projects. We have advised on all aspects of formation of the fund, electricity markets regulation, financing structures and tax concerns.
- One Stone Energy Partners L.L.C. (a private equity firm dedicated to investments in energy and energy related industries): First close of its debut fund, with $108 million in total capital commitments.
- Ivanhoe Cambridge (the real estate investment group of Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec): Our representations included negotiating detailed side letters to address many issues that are important to non-US government pension funds, including maximizing the tax benefits to our client in investing in funds that will own various types of real estate assets. Investments have included:
- An investment in Lone Star Fund IX (Bermuda) LP.
- $150 million investment in Blackstone Real Estate Partners Europe IV LP.
- $1 billion co-investment in PointPark Properties (P3) PLC.
- $200 million investment in Rockpoint Real Estate Fund IV LP.
- $300 million investment in The Lone Star Fund VIII (Bermuda) LP.
- $150 million investment in CIM Fund VIII LP.
- One Stone Energy Partners on its investment in a rice hull conversion plant.
- Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP Investments) [a global investor and one of the fastest growing government pension funds in Canada]: $300 million investment in Starwood Energy Infrastructure Fund II.
- The Cornell University Investment Office: Numerous investment transactions, including: 2013 investments in CD Capital Natural Resources Fund II and Fifth Cinven Fund and 2012 investments in General Atlantic 2013; Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Fund XV, LLC; and RK Mine Finance Fund II.
- Caisse de dépot et placement du Québec: Investment, along with Texas Pacific Group, of $250 million as part of a $1.25 billion investment in certain natural gas exploration assets.
- Guggenheim Partners: Secondary transactions and the financing of those transactions.