Kaye Scholer has litigated major consumer fraud, trademark, trade dress, counterfeiting, cybersquatting, false advertising and unfair competition cases for leading life sciences companies.
Our lawyers have the experience and skills to efficiently handle each of these types of cases and have the demonstrated ability to:
- quickly and efficiently prepare TRO and preliminary injunction papers and conduct expedited discovery in trademark infringement, false advertising and other matters;
- understand and present complex scientific evidence relating to false advertising and other claims;
- devise and conduct sophisticated, aggressive and novel defenses to putative consumer class actions; and
- provide informed advice regarding the substantiation of proposed advertising claims, the clearance of proposed trademarks, and the defensibility of potential and actual intellectual property claims.
We have extensive experience in defending putative class actions in state and federal court in which consumers assert violation of consumer fraud and deceptive trade practices acts but do not allege that they suffered any personal or property damage.
Trademark and Trade Dress
We counsel and represent life sciences clients in litigation and in practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and the European Community’s Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market. We regularly counsel, and police infringement for life sciences companies with respect to their key trademarks.
Our lawyers have successfully litigated many false advertising and unfair and deceptive trade practices cases in federal and state court and before the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus, and we routinely advise life sciences clients on proposed advertising, substantiation of advertising claims, and related matters.
Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Trade Practices Putative Class Actions
In the over 35 putative class actions we have handled, we defeated class certification at the trial level or on appeal, or obtained summary judgment or dismissal, in all but one case (a putative nationwide class action in state court in Madison County, Illinois, which we creatively settled on a state-wide only basis).
In the Market
- LMG Life Sciences Honors 17 Kaye Scholer Lawyers in 2015 November 5, 2015 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer’s Stars Shine in Managing IP 2013 May 16 • Recognitions
- Illinois Supreme Court Rules Patient Must Be Misled In Fact to Maintain Consumer Fraud Action Against Pharmaceutical Company December 22 • Client Alerts
- "Avoiding Criminal Liability: A Review of Recent Developments In Government Investigations of Medical Device Manufacturers," BNA's White Collar Crime Report September 25 • Articles