Kaye Scholer’s Private Clients team counsels high-net-worth individuals, multigenerational families, family offices, closely held businesses, charitable entities, banks, and trust companies on all wealth planning and tax matters, including domestic and international tax planning; administration of trusts and estates; probate and fiduciary litigation; charitable giving; tax controversies; asset protection; and charitable organization and private foundation matters. The team is comprised of lawyers from the firm’s worldwide offices in New York, Florida, Chicago, London and Germany.
In the Market
- London Talks California’s Uber Ruling with Bloomberg: Business of Law June 18, 2015 • Media Mentions
- IRS Issues Proposed Regulations on Publicly Traded Partnership Qualifying Income May 19, 2015 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advances in Chambers USA Rankings May 19, 2015 • Recognitions
- Riordan to Speak at STEP New York Seminar May 1 • Events
- Kaye Scholer Earns 75 Practice Rankings in U.S. News-Best Lawyers’ “Best Law Firms” 2015 November 3 • Recognitions
- Forty-five Kaye Scholer Lawyers Recognized by Their Peers in Best Lawyers 2015 August 18 • Recognitions
- Chambers USA 2014 Ranks 14 Kaye Scholer Practices and 42 Individuals May 23 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Announces Attorney Elevations for 2014 December 11 • Firm News
- Kaye Scholer Achieves 47 Tier 1 Practice Rankings in U.S. News-Best Lawyers’ “Best Law Firms” November 1 • Recognitions
Capabilities: How We Do It
- Trust and Estate Planning: We advise our domestic and international clients in all areas of private client services to minimize taxes while transferring wealth to successive generations and charities, including preparing wills and trusts, asset protection, multijurisdictional planning, planning for special needs, and pre- and post-nuptial agreements.
- Personal and Business Tax Planning: We employ innovative legal structures and tailor tax efficient succession plans and business reorganizations to ensure business continuity, planning with cash, securities, private equity and hedge fund interests, real estate, closely held businesses, art, and intellectual property. As consultants to family offices, we have extensive experience with implementing and operating innovative multigenerational legal structures, private trust companies, and investment partnership structures.
- International Tax Planning and Compliance: We are a leader in international and cross-border estate and tax planning, recognized for our expertise in tackling complex personal, trust, and probate issues arising from foreign investment in US situated assets and US interest in foreign trusts and foreign investments. We have substantial experience in pre-immigration planning and outbound expatriation. We advise individuals and fiduciaries in a wide variety of tax compliance matters, including voluntary disclosure programs, such as the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures and the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program; Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA); and other foreign informational reporting requirements.
- Administration of Trusts and Estates: We handle lifetime and post-death administration and distribution of trusts and estates, prepare and file estate and gift tax returns and fiduciary income tax returns, and advise beneficiaries, trustees and other interested parties in all aspects of estate and trust administration.
- Estate, Trust and Tax Litigation: We counsel corporate and individual clients in all areas of conflict resolution and fiduciary litigation including will and trust contests and construction proceedings, claims against estates, undue influence and competency issues, and complex family disputes. We represent clients in tax controversies with federal and state taxing authorities, including income, estate and gift tax audits, and have litigated before the United States Tax Court, numerous United States District Courts, the United States Courts of Appeal, and various state courts and administrative agencies.
- Charitable Planning and Exempt Organizations: We work with our clients to achieve their philanthropic goals in a tax efficient manner and advise on charitable structures, fiduciary duties, and conflicts of interest. We provide guidance to new and existing exempt organizations—including private foundations and charitable trusts—with respect to formation, administration, governance, operation, compliance, and development efforts.