Kaye Scholer's private equity/venture capital practice is a significant practice area within the firm's Corporate Department.
We represent private equity funds, private equity divisions of financial institutions, venture capital investors and portfolio companies, both in the U.S. and abroad. Transactions involve strategic equity/control investments and minority investments, all stages of the investment cycle and greatly varied transaction structures. Our representations have included start-up ventures (venture capital), early stage venture capital investments, acquisition of public as well as private companies, asset acquisitions, growth capital transactions, management buyouts, recapitalizations, going-private transactions, leveraged acquisitions, "turnaround" or "vulture" investments, and purchases and sales of companies and divisions in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. We work with clients in all phases of their investments, including in formulating bids in auction situations and in their initial investment and financing, as well as refinancings, restructurings, recapitalizations and add-on acquisitions, and in designing exit strategies and liquidity events (including initial public offerings and business sales). In addition, we have substantial experience in structuring and negotiating the various layers of senior and subordinated debt and equity financing typically utilized in connection with leveraged acquisitions, including registered and Rule 144A high-yield debt offerings, private placements of senior and subordinated debt, secured and unsecured bank financing, and various forms of seller financing.
Kaye Scholer has represented clients investing in start-ups, emerging growth and expanding companies and has also represented companies at each of these stages. Our clients and their portfolio companies are not concentrated in any one industry but rather extend broadly across industries including technology, telecom, financial institutions, health care, medical products, distribution and consumer goods and services. Kaye Scholer supports its private equity/venture capital practice with the unique strength of lawyers who concentrate in all areas of corporate law as well as in other practice areas, including patent and intellectual property, real estate, capital markets/securities and public offerings, tax, product liability, executive compensation, benefits, employment, antitrust and bankruptcy.
In the Market
- Frankle to Participate in PLI’s Acquiring/Selling Privately Held Companies Event April 27–28, 2015 • Speaking Engagements
- Securities Litigation Alert: Disclose Early and Disclose Often: SEC Brings Enforcement Actions for Failure to Disclose Potential Going Private Transactions in a Timely Manner March 18, 2015 • Client Alerts
- Kaye Scholer Represents J.W. Childs in Cycle Gear Acquisition January 9 • Client Successes
- Litigation Alert: Affirmation of Business Judgment Rule in Going Private Deals Could Insulate Companies Against Costly Litigation November 24 • Client Alerts
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Fall 2014 • Newsletter
- Kaye Scholer’s Shanghai Corporate Team Recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 November 5 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Earns 75 Practice Rankings in U.S. News-Best Lawyers’ “Best Law Firms” 2015 November 3 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer’s Global Capabilities Recognized in IFLR1000 2015 October 27 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Represents Uni-World Capital in Acquisition of Drake Manufacturing Services Co. October 14 • Client Successes