Kaye Scholer's private equity/venture capital practice is a significant practice area within the firm's Corporate Department.
We represent private equity funds, private equity divisions of financial institutions, venture capital investors and portfolio companies, both in the U.S. and abroad. Transactions involve strategic equity/control investments and minority investments, all stages of the investment cycle and greatly varied transaction structures. Our representations have included start-up ventures (venture capital), early stage venture capital investments, acquisition of public as well as private companies, asset acquisitions, growth capital transactions, management buyouts, recapitalizations, going-private transactions, leveraged acquisitions, "turnaround" or "vulture" investments, and purchases and sales of companies and divisions in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. We work with clients in all phases of their investments, including in formulating bids in auction situations and in their initial investment and financing, as well as refinancings, restructurings, recapitalizations and add-on acquisitions, and in designing exit strategies and liquidity events (including initial public offerings and business sales). In addition, we have substantial experience in structuring and negotiating the various layers of senior and subordinated debt and equity financing typically utilized in connection with leveraged acquisitions, including registered and Rule 144A high-yield debt offerings, private placements of senior and subordinated debt, secured and unsecured bank financing, and various forms of seller financing.
Kaye Scholer has represented clients investing in start-ups, emerging growth and expanding companies and has also represented companies at each of these stages. Our clients and their portfolio companies are not concentrated in any one industry but rather extend broadly across industries including technology, telecom, financial institutions, health care, medical products, distribution and consumer goods and services. Kaye Scholer supports its private equity/venture capital practice with the unique strength of lawyers who concentrate in all areas of corporate law as well as in other practice areas, including patent and intellectual property, real estate, capital markets/securities and public offerings, tax, product liability, executive compensation, benefits, employment, antitrust and bankruptcy.
In the Market
- Kaye Scholer Represents Halifax in Sale of Caring Brands International October 2 • Client Successes
- Rules of the Road for Directors Serving Two Masters August 31, 2015 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Onex and Schumacher Group in Completing the Acquisition of HPP August 25 • Client Successes
- Best Lawyers 2016 Recognizes 45 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 17, 2015 • Recognitions
- Mel Cherney Talks Big Buyouts with Bloomberg August 13, 2015 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Advises Onex on Two Transactions August 4 • Client Successes
- Tax Alert: IRS Issues Proposed Regulations on Management Fee Waivers August 3 • Client Alerts
- Kaye Scholer Advises American Securities on FiberMark Sale to Neenah Paper July 23 • Client Successes
- Investment Management Alert: Conflicts Under the Microscope—SEC Charges and Settles with KKR July 14 • Client Alerts