As a proud signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge, Kaye Scholer views pro bono work as an essential part of our core values and collaborative culture.
Beyond our commitment to, and belief in, the importance of justice and legal parity, an active pro bono practice promotes skills training and exposure to increased responsibilities for associates and enables all lawyers to fulfill their professional obligation to provide pro bono legal services.
The needs of low-income, oppressed, victimized, falsely accused and other disenfranchised individuals who lack access to quality legal representation far exceed what any one law firm can provide. To maximize the impact of our pro bono work, we partner with a select number of nonprofits such as the Anti-Defamation League, Asian American Legal Defense & Education Fund, Brennan Center for Justice, Lawyers Alliance for New York, LatinoJustice, New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, Public Counsel, The Legal Aid Society, and Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs. These organizations help us identify pro bono clients who not only have the greatest need but, based on the specific facts and unique circumstances of each client, are also most likely to benefit from the type of legal work and experience that our lawyers offer.
Pro Bono Counsel
Manager of Pro Bono & Community Affairs
In the Market
- Summer Associates Successfully Assist Transgender Clients July 27, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Pro Bono Victory for Father Falsely Accused of Child Abuse July 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Chicago Team Receives 2016 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service May 25, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Assad Rajani Awarded Two California Pro Bono Distinctions April 26, 2016 • Recognitions
- Jungermann and Steger Counsel Water Integrity Network on Libel Law March 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Ninth Circuit’s En Banc Decision in Wolfson Validates Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Efforts... February 3, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Efforts Help Preserve Kansas’ Independent Judiciary January 4, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises ACCION International Pro Bono on Ugandan Microfinance Partnership December 2015 • Client Successes
The Numbers: Our Accomplishments
- 20,799 hours assisting pro bono clients (2015)
- 216 Kaye Scholer attorneys contributed pro bono hours (2015)
- 800 hours devoted to death penalty appeals in Georgia and Alabama (2015)
- 35 nonprofit organizations to which we provided tax counsel (2015)
- 17 transgender individuals for whom we obtained formal name changes (2015)
- 13 low-income tenants for whom we obtained a successful settlement after a suspicious fire (2014)
Capabilities: How We Do It
While we encourage and support myriad pro bono opportunities so that our lawyers can pursue those projects most meaningful to them personally or professionally, we focus on six key areas:
- Death Penalty Appeals
We are particularly proud of our 40-year tradition of taking on difficult habeas and clemency petitions for indigent death row inmates; we have argued several of these cases before the US Supreme Court.
- Immigration & Asylum
We assist refugees from around the world who are fleeing persecution due to their political opinions, religious affiliation, sexual orientation or other specific grounds, and seeking asylum in the US. We also represent immigrant victims of domestic violence, unaccompanied alien minors and children applying for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
- Social Security Disability Benefits
Since 2000, we have represented more than 100 low-income disabled children and adults seeking disability benefits.
- Transgender Name Changes
We help transgender clients navigate the legal process of completing a formal name change, which is often the first step toward conforming their legal identities to the way they identify and live their lives.
- Virtual Pro Bono Law Firm
Launched in early 2014, in partnership with longtime client Pfizer Inc, this program is for retired partners and special counsel who possess both the senior-level experience and the availability to tackle highly complex pro bono cases that will significantly transform society.