Our international Project Development & Finance team has a proven track record advising leading investors, sponsors, developers, lenders, utilities and governments on the project development and project financing of energy, social and transport infrastructure assets around the globe. As a leader in the area, we bring together longstanding practice excellence and deep industry knowledge in our approach to energy and infrastructure as an investment asset class.
In the Market
Capabilities: How We Do It
- Deep experience across assets: We have developed solutions, often first-of-their-kind, for complex project development and financing of the following types of assets:
- Renewable energy: all types, including wind, solar, hydro, biofuels and waste-to-energy.
- Infrastructure: US and international, including PPP projects such as federal motorways, municipal water systems, ports, urban mass transit, commuter rail, airport connector lines and international airports.
- Electricity markets regulation: including generation, transmission and distribution. We also counsel clients on the federal and state energy regulatory implications of investing in FERC-regulated entities and on electric market design and standard rate cases before FERC and state regulatory commissions.
- Power and generation: including the acquisition, sale and financing of gas-fired, coal-fired and co-generation plants.
- Full spectrum of services: Our team regularly advises on all aspects of project development and finance, including
- EPC contracts
- Concession contracts
- Power purchase agreements
- Fuel and equipment supply contracts
- Tax structuring
- Joint ventures
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Thorough documentation: Our lawyers regularly draft, review, negotiate and advise clients on all types of projects and project documentation, from the pre-term sheet stage to the term sheet, then from the operative documents through closing, and thereafter, during the compliance and portfolio management stage of the process.
- Due diligence: Our group has extensive experience in conducting due diligence on project participants and in structuring transactions to achieve the goals of the parties and appropriate risk mitigation.
- Interdisciplinary approach and international reach: Our multidisciplinary team operates out of the firm’s Frankfurt, London, New York, Los Angeles and Washington DC offices. We regularly collaborate with skilled colleagues throughout the firm to address tax, environmental, bankruptcy and corporate restructuring and intellectual property law issues that arise in these transactions.