Kaye Scholer has one of the nation's leading practices devoted to wind power and other renewable energy transactions. The firm has represented many of the industry's leaders and since 1998 has successfully closed more than 40 deals, totaling over 3000 megawatts throughout the US on behalf of developers, sponsors, lenders and equity providers. We are dedicated to closing transactions efficiently and cost effectively.
The firm counsels on all aspects of wind energy development and finance, including tax structuring, project finance and mergers and acquisitions. We have substantial experience in negotiating and structuring power purchase agreements, wind turbine supply agreements and warranties, including project specific and frame agreements, balance of plant EPC contracts, land acquisition programs, environmental compliance, purchase and sale of wind project pipelines and purchase and sale of wind development companies.
We have played a leading role in the inception and development of the equity, debt and capital markets for wind power projects.
Recent engagements include representing:
- An Australian infrastructure fund in the sale of a 3,100 MW project in development to a private equity fund;
- A developer in the negotiation of a 1,500 MW PPA with a California utility – the largest wind PPA ever signed;
- One of the leading U.S. banks as a tax equity investor in a 485 MW portfolio;
- A leading German developer in the development, construction, financing and sale of a project in Texas,
- A developer in the negotiation and structuring of a large equity commitment from a top tier Wall Street investment banking house,
- A private equity fund in the acquisition, tax structuring and financing of a project in California,
- An Australian infrastructure fund in the acquisition, development, tax structuring and financing of multiple projects,
- A developer in the sale of a portfolio of development projects to a Spanish company,
- A major utility in the acquisition of a wind project in development,
- A wind development company with an announced pipeline of over 800MWs in its sale to one of the leading wind energy developers in the US,
- The lenders for construction financing of a 120MW project in Texas, and
- The developers as lead counsel in the Altamont Avian cases.
In the Market
- NLJ Recognizes Tan as an Energy Trailblazer April 2015 • Recognitions
- Investment and Financing Opportunities in Alternative Energy and Related Infrastructure April 16, 2015 • Seminars
- International Project Development & Finance Update: German Federal Cabinet Publishes Delegated Legislation on Competitive Tenders for Ground-Mounted Solar Arrays January 30, 2015 • Client Alerts
- Kaye Scholer’s Global Capabilities Recognized in IFLR1000 2015 October 27 • Recognitions
- Madeleine Tan to Moderate Panel at AWEA Wind Energy Finance & Investment Seminar (New York, NY) October 20 - 21, 2014 • Speaking Engagements
- US Renewable Energy: Choices & Challenges—A Special Report July 2 • Client Alerts
- Madeleine Tan to Co-Chair Financing Panel at 11th Annual REFF-Wall Street Renewable Energy Finance Forum June 25 – 26, 2014 • Speaking Engagements
- Financing Structures and M&A Trends in US Renewable Energy June 25, 2014 • Seminars
- Kaye Scholer Designs "First of its Kind" Offshore Wind Regulations May 12 • Client Successes
The Numbers: Our Accomplishments
- $150 Some statment about that