- Representation of the official creditors' committee in the reorganization of the California Power Exchange, including representation before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and litigation against agencies of the State of California;
- Representation of the Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the bankruptcy and reorganization of the unregulated affiliate of a major utility;
- Representation of the court-appointed Examiner in Enron North America Corporation bankruptcy proceedings and related litigation;
- Representation of a major U.S. electrical equipment manufacturer in a simultaneous lawsuit and international arbitration over the award and performance of a contract to build a nuclear power plant in the Philippines;
- Representation of a major electricity supplier (the largest owner of nuclear power plants in the United States), in state regulatory proceedings to determine the reasonableness of the company's request to collect $5.4 billion for decommissioning 13 nuclear power plant units;
- Representation of a state in a proceeding before the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) to evaluate the proposed $427 million decommissioning of a nuclear power plant;
- Representation of the a state in an FERC proceeding on the shutdown and decommissioning of an atomic power plant;
- Acting as special counsel to a state public utility commission in its investigation of the construction of a nuclear power station. The proceeding analyzed the site selection, design, and construction of the power station and quantified the impact of management decisions;
- Acting as special counsel to a state department of public utilities to evaluate wholesale electric utility deregulation options, including the development of merchant power producers, divestiture of investor-owned generating assets, and creation of market administrative mechanisms; and
- Representation of a leading electrical equipment manufacturer's power systems division in a suit by an installation contractor over the installation of the turbine generator at a fossil-fueled plant.
Energy matters frequently involve complex environmental law issues. Our lawyers offer a wide range of experience in advising clients on environmental due diligence. Kaye Scholer frequently advises clients on project and site compliance with air, water and hazardous waste management regulation, on both the federal and state levels.
Wind Power Practice Description
Kaye Scholer has extensive experience in wind power projects and have one of the preeminent practices in the world. We represent one the world's leading developers of utility scale wind power projects as well as one of the world's leading manufacturers of wind turbine generators. We regularly represent developers, equipment suppliers, EPC contractors, lenders and equity participants and have in-depth understanding of all legal, business and pragmatic issues involved in the development, financing, construction and sale of a wind power project.