“Kaye Scholer’s intellectual property and outsourcing group is noted for its strength in IP, and valued for its expertise in handling issues related to emerging technologies such as big data and the combination of analytics and social media.” —Chambers USA 2013 (NY: Technology & Outsourcing)
“William Tanenbaum attracts high praise for his ability to size up a situation and come up with efficient steps to build a desired deal, with one client observing: ‘He reminds me of one of those Savile Row tailors who devotes a long career to customizing suits for satisfied clients.’ He is also appreciated for keeping himself ‘right at the forefront’ of developments in the technology sector.” —Chambers USA 2014 (NY: Technology & Outsourcing)
National and New York Tier 1 Rankings (Information Technology) —2014 US News & World Report/Best Law Firms
Our IP & Technology Transactions Practice advises financial services companies, including insurance companies, corporations in a wide-range of other industries, state and federal agencies, healthcare institutions and other entities on transactions related to the development, acquisition, licensing integration and outsourcing of complex technology systems as well as the development of social media, privacy and data protection, open source, Big Data and cloud and mobile computing policies and programs to meet the needs of today’s businesses.
Our strong, long-standing patent capabilities and our ability to devise effective offensive and defensive IP strategies distinguish us from other firms. We work collaboratively with Kaye Scholer’s other practices across our nine offices in the US, Europe and Asia to address all aspects of a technology transaction, including issues related to tax, labor and employment, trade secrets or the financing of IP and IT projects.
We draw on our strong transactional experience, deep understanding of the IT & technology sector, and our technical acumen to help companies negotiate and implement best practices and assess and evaluate the value and merit of technologies. Our offerings include:
- Creating IT systems for spin-offs and drafting and administering transition service agreements and associated IP
- Structuring the purchasing, upgrading and financing of enterprise-wide technology systems
- Drafting and negotiating agreements for customers related to IP and technology procurement, development and licensing, including software licensing
- Advising on IT, business process and knowledge process outsourcing in domestic, offshore and near shore transactions
- Leveraging and protecting our clients’ IP and technology in research projects, strategic alliances, joint ventures and other business arrangements
- Evaluating, licensing and procuring ownership of IP and technology rights and assets in support of M&A and other corporate transactions
- Developing and advising on the legal risks of social media, mobile computing, privacy and, data security
- Advising on data security breaches
- Negotiating and reviewing of ecommerce agreements and consumer-facing Internet programs
- Advising on legal risks relating to Big Data and cloud and mobile computing