Chris Choi brings over 10 years of experience counseling clients on their real estate matters. He has represented both institutional and entrepreneurial clients in the acquisition, financing, development, leasing and disposition of properties located throughout the United States, as well as in the negotiation of joint venture agreements and management agreements. In addition to representing owners and developers, Chris maintains an active real estate finance practice representing primarily domestic and foreign banks and other balance sheet lenders in the origination, syndication, workout and restructuring of construction and permanent loans. Chris has advised on transactions involving real estate assets of all types, including hospitality, retail, office, multi-family, industrial and mixed-use.
Chris was previously in-house counsel at the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), where he served as lead counsel on various public-private real estate initiatives of the City of New York under Mayor Michael Bloomberg, including the large-scale Essex Crossing (Seward Park) development in the Lower East Side of Manhattan and the development of the St. George waterfront in Staten Island.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Chris worked in the real estate consulting group of an international accounting/consulting firm, where he engaged in financial modeling and analysis of real estate portfolios for investment banks, REITs and institutional investors.
- Representation of a family office in connection with the sale of its interests in a portfolio of prime retail and mixed-use properties located throughout New York City, Chicago and San Francisco.
- Representation of a major US financial institution in a $300 million refinancing of a portfolio of 27 office buildings located throughout Silicon Valley, California.
- Representation of a real estate investment and development firm in the acquisition of a Starwood branded hotel in Dallas, Texas and in the negotiation of related joint venture, management and franchise agreements.
- Representation of a major French financial institution in connection with the closing and syndication of a $220 million loan to finance the acquisition and re-tenanting of a Class A office tower in San Francisco’s financial district.
- Representation of a major German financial institution in a $135 million refinancing of a mixed-use retail/office building in SoHo, New York.
- Representation of a major French financial institution in connection with the purchase of a $95 million senior loan secured by a Fairmont branded resort and golf course in San Diego, California and the negotiation of an intercreditor agreement with the mezzanine lender.