Dr. Gottfried Freier is Special Counsel at Kaye Scholer and headed the Frankfurt office as its Managing Partner from 2007 to May 2012. Prior to going into private practice, Gottfried was in-house counsel with BASF Aktiengesellschaft in the Patent, Central Legal and Group Tax Departments, and later became General Counsel of BASF Pharma, with worldwide responsibility for legal, taxes, insurance and trademarks.
As a result of his extensive experience in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, Gottfried often represents clients in these sectors, ranging in size from small start-up and medium-sized companies to large multinational groups. He advises on a variety of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, general corporate matters, and technology transactions including licensing and cooperation agreements, transfer of product rights, research, development and commercialization agreements (e.g., co-promotion and co-marketing), contract research and development, clinical trial arrangements, and contract manufacturing, as well as non-disclosure and material transfer agreements.
Gottfried is often sought-after to advise industrial enterprises in many business sectors, because of his comprehensive experience as both a lawyer in private practice and, “at the other end of the table,” as in-house counsel. In addition to his activities as a lawyer, Gottfried serves as a chairman of the supervisory board of a corporation dealing in IT hardware.
Chambers Europe 2014 identified Gottfried as a leading practitioner in Life Sciences. Clients remarked that "he thinks in our terms, knows our problems and has a feeling for the situation during negotiations."
Gottfried is a member of the Licensing Executive Society (LES) and of the BioDeutschland e.V. Working Group Finance and Taxes. He is fluent in German and in English, and has written on intellectual property and biotechnology topics.
- Advised 4SC (Germany) in:
- Outlicensing to/R&D collaboration with BionNTech AG.
- Acquisition of oncology portfolio (asset deal) from Nycomed GmbH.
- Option agreement for the acquisition of a license to Serono.
- Sale/contribution of technology in joint venture with XL-Tech Group.
- Acquisition project relating to proposed assets purchase from an insolvent US company by a German biotech company.
- Advised Activaero (Germany), a therapeutic area specialist developing cutting-edge solutions for patients suffering from severe respiratory disorders, on an undisclosed partnership in pulmonary hypertension.
- Advised CellControl, a German biomedical company, in an outlicensing agreement regarding CellControl‘s proprietary antibody AbagovoMAB with Menarini.
- Advised Melbrosin, a Swiss-held group dealing in ITC products and neutraceuticals, in the sale of its OTC business to BioProgress plc (UK) (subsequently known as Meldex plc).
- Advised Pfizer (US) in various transactions and general compliance.
- Advised Phylos, a US biotech company developing technologies identifying and analyzing properties in certain diseases, in an asset acquisition from Aventis.
- Represented Rentschler (Germany) in:
- Divestiture of its pharmaceutical business to Medice.
- Strategic investment in CellCA GmbH.
- Advised Santhera, a public Swiss specialty pharmaceutical company in various outlicensing agreements with Takeda regarding Idebenone.
- Advised Sequenom, a US genomic and genetic test provider for research and diagnostic markets, in the outlicensing of prenatal diagnosis testing technology to LifeCodeXX, Germany.
- Advised Xcel, a US pharma/biotech company in the acquisition of a pharmaceutical product from Viatris.