Dr. Hans-Joachim Fritz is a partner in the German Employment & Labor Law practice in the Frankfurt office.
His practice covers all issues on corporate restructuring, as well as litigation and alternative dispute resolution. Hans Joachim renders advice to clients in classical industrial branches and in professional services.
As a certified specialist for commercial and corporate law as well as for employment law, Hans-Joachim gives support to major corporations in order to restructure the organization or reorganize business units. In addition, he is engaged in negotiating collective agreements with work councils and trade unions.
Moreover, Hans-Joachim advises major corporations on international compliance issues, partly as an external compliance monitor or ombudsman. He also conducts internal investigations and negotiates with prosecutors and administrative bodies on corporate sanctions.
Prior to joining Kaye Scholer LLP, Hans Joachim was a partner of two international German law firms, Haarmann Hemmelrath and Salger Rechtsanwälte. In addition, he held positions in senior HR management, lastly as member of the board of a DAX 100 company.
Hans-Joachim is a member of the American Bar Association/International Section, the Pacific Bar Association and the Employment Lawyers’ Association in Germany. He is also appointed to the Committee for Admission on Certified Specialists for Commercial and Corporate Law by the Frankfurt Bar and elected as a member of the Commission on corporate as well as on European legislative matters by the Federal Bar in Berlin/Brussels. Furthermore, Hans-Joachim has been appointed by the European Commission as member of the group of experts on anti-corruption.
- Publicly listed international financial services provider on the implementation of an internal compliance system and training procedures on governance, risk and compliance.
- Publicly listed international health care provider in relation to the design of a code of conduct that complies with the UK Bribery Act 2010, implementation of a “hospitality & gift register” and a compliance procedure on the grounds of a collective agreement involving negotiations with the group works council.
- Manufacturer of consumer goods on the implementation of an internal compliance system, procuring external compliance support, particularly with regard to the control of exports.
- Professional service company (active in 150 countries) on the implementation of an anti-corruption policy.
- Publicly listed corporation in engineering and process technology on the design of a code of ethics and implementing an anti-corruption policy.
- Publicly listed international financial services provider on training procedures on governance, risk and compliance.
- Publicly listed international software company on the preferential treatment of single works council members and members of the group works council against works constitutional standards.
- Multinational group of health care provider on internal investigations regarding the breach of US-embargo and export regulations.
- Professional service company (active in 150 countries) on compliance investigations, particularly in jurisdictions with a high perception of corruption, negotiations with US authorities as well as international development banks.
- Insurance company (D&O) on the legal protection of interests in a lawsuit concerning D&O liability.
- International media group (Germany, GB, US) on the coordination and litigation concerning criminal white collar offenses within management and support to secure civil legal actions (liability process, asset tracing, enforcement).
- Publicly listed international financial services provider on the implementation of an internal compliance system; training procedures on governance, risk and compliance.
- Europe’s leading manufacturer of dolls and accessories on purchase of shares by a US-American corporation; defense against a hostile takeover bid; representation of shareholder’s interests in negotiations with creditor banks regarding refinancing the target firm and representation of shareholder’s interests regarding design and implementation of restructuring program concerning the target firm.
- Clinic in the field of acute care subject to public patronage on the acquisition by a private clinic group.
- PE investor on acquisition of a mid-sized company group in the field of dual use accompanied by designing management participation program.
- German mid-sized IT group (supplier of SAP as well as indigenous products) on reorganization in order to strengthen the awareness of a; partly by spin-offs to start up.
- Publicly listed Corporation in the field of consumer goods on plans to change the legal structure of AG (public listed corporation) to GmbH (LLC – consumer goods) including redraft of domination as well as profit transfer agreements.
- Publicly listed Corporation in the field of car retailing on plans to change the legal structure of AG (public listed corporation) to SE (Societas Europaea – car retailer) including redraft of domination as well as profit transfer agreements.
- Corporation including numerous domestic GmbH subsidiaries on reorganization of authorities to give directives and investments in order to enhance the risk structure (limitation of liability, revocation of dual mandates).
- German domestic engineering group on restructuring of groups of shareholders to optimize their alternation of generations as part of change management.
- Group in the field of measuring and control technology on restructuring of parts of it as holding of legally and operationally independent domestic as well as foreign subsidiaries and affiliated companies including implementation of newly designed compensation & benefit schemes based on a company collective agreement with the union.
- Multinational group of health care on the closure of a site in Germany; negotiations with works council regarding a social compensation scheme and reconciliation of interests. Also included representation of interests in court proceedings (Local Labor Court, Regional Labor Court and Federal Labor Court), excluding union’s participation.
- Management board of a clinic group in negotiations and completion of a company-related collective agreement about the partial reduction of compensation as well as of time-limited company-related collective agreements covering several subject-matters (inter-alia continuing education and qualification).
- Private clinic group in relation to the preparation of negotiations for a framework collective agreement as well as a wage collective agreement in terms of company-related collective agreements with the DHV – Deutscher Handels- und Industrieangestelltenverband including advice to the regional employers’ association concerning the reform of all collective agreements.
- Publicly listed German real estate company on the design and negotiation of termination and settlement agreements with executives or board members with special respect to the extent of discretionary earnings, post-contractual non-compete covenants, early termination by granting a reduced severance payment per diem (partly tax optimized); stock option programs; ad-hoc disclosures due to Securities Trading Act (“Wertpapierhandelsgesetz” – WpHG), press releases and reference letters.
- Publicly listed International family corporation in machinery and equipment engineering on the review of subcontractors agreements.
- Publicly listed corporation on a legal review of compensation and allowance scheme for works council members.
- International corporation listed on the stock exchange (DAX) on the design of inter-company works constitution regarding remuneration, compensation of overtime and reporting paths to HR management.
- German branch of an international auditing and consultancy organization on the reduction of the workforce and corporate restructuring without general negotiations regarding any social compensation scheme.
- Global publishing company in the field of science, technology and medical science (STM) in relation to professionals’ release from participating in a statutory pension scheme with special respect to legal counsels, doctors of medicine, veterinarians, and pharmacists.
- Global leading suppliers of robotics and plant and systems engineering in relation to professionals’ release from participating in statutory pension schemes with special respect to legal counsels.
- Germany's development agency for agribusiness on a legal review in relation to the demands of newly established Supervisory Requirements for Institutions’ Remuneration Systems (“Institutsvergütungsverordnung” – InstVergVO) with special respect to risk takers.
In The Market
- WirtschaftsWoche Interviews Fritz about Visa Waiver Program May 23, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Named Germany Law Firm of the Year for Antitrust, Breach of Contract Law January 11, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Advises on Creation of Independent German Real Estate Investment Banking Boutique VICTORIAPARTNERS 21 Februar 2014 • Client Successes