Phillip A. Geraci practices in Kaye Scholer’s Complex Commercial Litigation Department with an emphasis on securities, derivatives and commodities litigation, including defense of securities fraud class actions and shareholder derivative actions, representation of corporate clients in SEC investigations, takeover and proxy contest litigation, defense of commodities manipulation and fraud actions and litigations involving limited partnerships and their sponsors. He has tried cases involving securities, commodities, foreign exchange futures and options, derivatives, contracts and trademarks.
Among Phil’s many litigations for the firm are the defense of:
- Spirit AeroSystems in consolidated securities class action litigation, a SEC enforcement investigation and derivative litigation, including successful arguments in the US District Court and Court of Appeals.
- Celestica Inc. and its former CEO and CFO in consolidated securities class action litigation.
- JA Apparel in its contract and trademark litigation against designer Joseph Abboud, including a trial victory.
- AstraZeneca in a US$1.28 billion litigation brought by a specialty pharmaceutical company — Kaye Scholer’s motion was granted and the case was dismissed.
- Skilled Healthcare Group, Envision Healthcare, TMS International, Brookfield Homes Corp. and ResCare, Inc. in merger litigation in Delaware, Colorado and Kentucky.
- Hershey in trademark litigation.
- Special Committees of the boards of WCI Steel and Harrah’s Entertainment in litigations in Delaware, Nevada and New York.
- Onex Corporation, a Canadian private equity company, in merger and tender offer litigation.
- Receiver of the Wood River hedge funds, which were shut down by the SEC in the face of claims of substantial mismanagement and misrepresentation, in which matter he worked closely with lawyers from the SEC’s Division of Enforcement.
- CEO and a director in the Suprema Specialties securities class action litigation, where all claims against our clients were originally dismissed in the face of guilty pleas by participants in the alleged fictitious booking of US$700 million in revenue by the company.
- China National Metals Import & Export Corp. and one of its subsidiaries through trial in derivatives and foreign exchange litigation with a major international investment bank.
- Former CEO of Reliance Insurance Co. in litigation arising out of the collapse of that insurer.
- One of the principal defendants in the landmark Apex v. DiMauro commodities manipulation case.
- Corporate client in an SEC insider trading investigation.
- Broker-dealer in multiple SEC, NASD, and FINRA investigations.
- PubliCARD, a technology company, in securities fraud litigation in California state court.
- Traffix Inc. and its senior executives in consolidated securities class action litigation.
- The Hunt Brothers in litigations involving alleged manipulation of the silver market, including a six-month jury trial.
- Metallgesellschaft, a German conglomerate, and its subsidiaries in numerous shareholder derivative and securities class actions.
- Commodore International Limited, a computer manufacturer, in a series of securities class actions.
- American Financial Corporation in shareholder derivative litigation.
- J.W. Childs Associates in multiple matters for it and its portfolio companies.
- Integrated Resources and Robert McNeil in takeover, proxy contest, and securities fraud and class action litigations.
Phil has represented numerous public companies and shareholder groups in tender offers, proxy contests and other contests for corporate control, and has frequently counseled clients on shareholder demands, potential shareholder derivative litigations and matters relating to the disclosure obligations of the federal securities laws.
Phil has written on the subjects of securities class actions, damages and hedge fund litigation, and has appeared on numerous panels and lectured on those and related topics.
In The Market
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Achieves Complete Victory for Spirit AeroSystems in Securities Class Action July 6, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Obtains Motion to Dismiss for Longtime Client Spirit AeroSystems May 26, 2015 • Client Successes