Adam Golodner is a Partner in our Complex Commercial Litigation Department and the Leader of our Global Cybersecurity & Privacy Group. Mr. Golodner has a unique career spanning more than 25 years of leadership positions in business, academia and government. In 2015, Mr. Golodner was recognized by The National Law Journal as one of the inaugural “Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Trailblazers,” and in 2016, Mr. Golodner was named by the Cybersecurity Docket to the inaugural list of the “Incident Response 30.” Mr. Golodner is well recognized for providing high-impact strategic advice and resolving complex issues at the intersection of law, security, policy, technology, innovation and economics. He has deep experience with the cyber issues facing private and public-sector clients in critical information infrastructure sectors and focuses on cyber issue relating to policy, litigation, corporate governance and transactions. Mr. Golodner has been quoted in The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Financial Times, TIME, Global Competition Review, and Global Investigations Review among other publications. He also advises on regulatory and compliance matters, including in the antitrust arena, helping clients to develop effective and efficient programs and representing them in investigations and related litigation brought by various US and international regulatory regimes.
Mr. Golodner is also currently a senior advisor at The Chertoff Group, a Fellow at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, a member of Business Executives for National Security (BENS), the USSS New York/New Jersey Electronic Crimes Task Force, and the Risk Assistance Network + Exchange (RANE).
At the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, Mr. Golodner served as Chief of Staff and Counselor to Assistant Attorney General Joel I. Klein. During his tenure his work included attention to many enforcement matters, including United States v. Microsoft, WorldCom-MCI, WorldCom-Sprint, CitiCorp-GTECH, Deutsche Telekom-VoiceStream, Cargill-Continental, Case-New Holland, Visa-MasterCard, and numerous telecoms Section 271 evaluations. As a member of the Front Office senior staff, he participated in weekly merger review meetings, and represented the Division within the Department, and with other Executive Branch agencies, and the Congress.
Throughout his career, Mr. Golodner has also been involved in a number of influential working groups. He has served on the OECD Security Experts Group, the Executive Committee of the IT-SCC; been a delegate to the Budapest and the Seoul Global Conferences on Cyberspace; and was a member of the White House’s E-Commerce Working Group, working groups of the White House’s National Information Infrastructure (NII) Task Force, the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) Communications Committee and the Department of Justice’s Privacy Council.
- Public company in strategic industry with incident response counseling involving APT attack likely from nation state around data breach, IPR, PII, state data breach, and contract law, with direct and third parties, working with law enforcement and security response contractor.
- Global digital payments company for transition to use of public cloud for compute and storage, including security, privacy, regulatory and contractual requirements and practices
- Major defense contractor on cybersecurity issues.
- Leading bespoke cyber consultancy on various cybersecurity and service provision issues.
- Fortune 100 global company in a strategic industry, and top-to-bottom cyber review, mapping the company’s cyber operations against the NIST framework.
- NYSE-listed company in a significant FTC false advertising matter, and resultant litigation.
- Investor in a cybersecurity company involving M&A due diligence, security of networks, preparedness, and security of software products.
- Strategic industry company undergoing APT attack likely from nation state around IPR, PII, state breach, and contract law, with direct and third parties, working with law enforcement and security response contractor.
- Public company with regard to citizen of nation state insider misappropriation of IPR and also implicating PII, and law enforcement and state breach laws and third parties.
- White House on provisions protecting innovation and security in President Obama’s 2013 Executive Order on Cybersecurity.
- NIST and the White House on security and privacy provisions of NIST’s 2014 Cybersecurity Framework of cyber best practices.
- US Senate and House of Representatives on innovation and security-friendly provisions in draft cyber legislation addressing critical infrastructure, public-private partnerships, information sharing and FISMA reform.
- Security agencies globally to help forge the next generation of the Common Criteria, the global standard for IT product assurance.
- European Commission on innovation and security protecting provisions in the EC’s 2013 Security Directive covering regulation of critical infrastructure across member states.
- Government of India on conforming telecommunications service provider regulations to international standards, and on forging public-private partnerships for cyber.
- Government of China on conforming product integrity, supply chain and critical infrastructure security regulations to international standards.
- Government of South Korea on moving encryption standards for VoIP to the international standard.
- Government of Russia on encryption import regulations, reducing market barriers, and WTO accession.
- DoJ Antitrust Division, engaged in merger and non-merger enforcement, interagency policy development, and interactions with the Executive Branch, Congress, and the media.
- USDA’s Rural Utilities Service in relation to creating and leading telecoms policy office, overseeing an approximately US$1 billion annual loan and grant program for rural telecoms, broadband, universal service, e-education and e-health program. Directed Congressional activities for rewrite of 1996 Telecommunication Act.
In The Market
- Cybersecurity Docket Lists Golodner as Leading Data-Breach Response Lawyer April 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- National Law Journal Names Golodner as Cyber/Data Privacy Trailblazer December 21, 2015 • Recognitions
- The Financial Times Interviews Adam Golodner On Potential China Cyber Sanctions September 28, 2015 • Media Mentions