Manuel “Manny” Gomez is an associate in the Complex Commercial Litigation Department of the firm’s New York office.
Manny represents financial institutions, corporate officers, and securities professionals in connection with federal and state white collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement, and internal investigation matters. His work in these areas has involved cutting-edge securities issues relating to insider trading, market access, and market manipulation.
Manny also represents business entities in a wide range of corporate and commercial disputes, including breach of contract claims, copyright infringement claims, misappropriation of trade secrets claims, tortious interference claims, and breach of fiduciary duty and loyalty claims.
Manny’s notable representations include:
- Representation of the private bank division of a global investment bank in connection with ongoing SEC, FINRA, and state securities regulatory inquiries and investigations.
- Representation of a global investment bank under SEC investigation for allegedly violating Rule 15c3-5 of the Securities Exchange Act (the Market Access Rule) through a rogue trader’s fraudulent market activity.
- Representation of Abacus Federal Savings Bank, which was indicted on mortgage fraud and related offenses by the Manhattan District Attorney and ultimately acquitted on all counts after a four-month jury trial.
- Representation of the Beastie Boys in a copyright and unfair competition suit against Monster Energy Company, resulting in a $1.7 million jury verdict in the band’s favor after a two-week jury trial.
- Representation of an ex-NYPD officer in his appeal before the Second Circuit of his conviction for conspiracy to commit Hobbs Act robbery (arguing and on the briefs).
Manny maintains an active pro bono practice. While at his prior firm, Manny co-led a team of lawyers and legal assistants that secured withholding of removal status for a Salvadoran Evangelical Christian fleeing religious persecution.
Prior to joining Kaye Scholer, Manny served as a Law Clerk to Chief Judge K. Michael Moore of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Before clerking, Manny was a litigation associate at Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP in New York.