Irv Hepner is Counsel in Kaye Scholer’s Los Angeles office, where he concentrates on portfolio real estate leasing and development programs, and real estate financing matters.
Before joining Kaye Scholer in 2001, Irv was the chief US legal officer for Westfield Holdings Limited, an Australian public company that was the exclusive manager, developer and advisor for Westfield America, Inc., a real estate investment trust. Westfield America is the second-largest owner of regional and super-regional shopping centers in the United States.
In his 18 years of private practice before joining Westfield, Irv represented a wide range of institutions and entrepreneurs involved in the acquisition, development, leasing and financing of real estate projects
- Counsel to an institutional owner of shopping center and office buildings for all landlord leasing matters.
- Counsel to a major defense contractor for all tenant leasing matters.
- Counsel to numerous financial institutions and investment funds in a variety of real estate acquisition, development and construction financings, workouts, and foreclosure and deed-in-lieu of foreclosure arrangements, and note purchase and sale transactions.
- Counsel for real estate matters to a developer of wind energy projects in connection with a large project in Southern California, resulting in the largest wind energy contract ever signed by a US utility. Counsel for real estate matters to a developer selling its interest in US wind energy projects, and to developers and financing parties in a variety of US wind energy projects.
- Counsel for real estate matters to the airport authority of a major US city in connection with the structuring and implementation of a new leasing policy for passenger terminal leases with airline tenants, including the preparation of a new lease form based on a new economic and management model.
- Counsel to Westfield America, Inc. in its acquisition of a portfolio of nine shopping centers in five states for approximately $756 million of consideration comprising equity securities, cash and the assumption of indebtedness.
- Counsel to the controlling shareholder of a public REIT in a “going-private” transaction and to the controlling shareholder of another public REIT in a cash-out merger.
- Counsel to a public REIT in all legal aspects of its acquisition, leasing, financing and capitalization program necessary for 80% growth of its assets.
- Counsel to a multinational corporation in the sale and leaseback of its US corporate headquarters.
Irv is active on behalf of a number of not-for-profit organizations, including as a director of Friends of Jewish Renewal in Poland. He currently serves on Kaye Scholer’s Pro Bono Committee. Irv’s pro bono work has included representing a wide variety of not-for-profit organizations in organizational and transactional matters, as well as representing children as a guardian ad litem.