Jeffrey H. Horowitz, a Partner in the Complex Commercial Litigation Department, is an experienced trial lawyer whose diverse practice includes major product liability matters, patent litigation, government investigations and compliance counseling. Jeff has tried cases to verdict in federal and state courts around the country, including New York, California, New Jersey, Maryland and the District of Columbia. In addition, Jeff is a member of the adjunct faculty and a Lecturer-in-Law at Columbia University School of Law, where he teaches trial practice.
Prior to joining Kaye Scholer, Jeff served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of New York. During his tenure, Jeff represented the state, its agencies and employees in a wide variety of federal and state matters, including numerous federal civil rights actions. Before moving to New York City, Jeff began his career as a trial lawyer in Maryland and the District of Columbia, where he handled civil and criminal cases.
Jeff graduated cum laude from Temple University School of Law, where he received the Outstanding Oral Advocacy Award for Trial Advocacy and the Harry R. Kozart Memorial Product Liability Award. Jeff received his undergraduate degree, with honors, from Michigan State University, where he earned four varsity letters and two Big Ten Conference Scholar Athlete Awards.
Jeff serves on the board of directors of the New York Center for Law and Justice, a public interest law firm whose mission is to represent indigent deaf clients. He also serves on the board of directors of Morningside Montessori School.
- Member of national counsel team defending Pfizer in the Reglan litigation, with primary responsibility for trial strategy, expert witness development and company witness depositions.
- Lead counsel for Novartis in a pharmaceutical product liability action pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Served as lead counsel for AstraZeneca in Pain Pump cases filed in New York state and federal courts, and had national responsibility for regulatory issues, expert witness development and company witness depositions.
- As a key member of national counsel teams, represented several pharmaceutical companies in mass tort litigations, including AstraZeneca (Seroquel), Novartis (PPA) and Pfizer (Rezulin).
- Litigating a patent infringement action involving image sensor technology for use in camera modules placed in cell phones.
- Served as trial counsel for Sanofi-Aventis in patent infringement litigation against drug companies which sought to market generic versions of Allegra antihistamine products.
- On behalf of Pfizer, tried the case that successfully defended the patents for celecoxib, the active ingredient in Celebrex.
- Prepared and tried a patent infringement case for Chiron involving the patent covering TOBI, a drug/device combination for the treatment of cystic fibrosis.
- Counsel international pharmaceutical company on legal and regulatory compliance issues related to sales and marketing practices, as well as pharmacovigilance and safety reporting requirements.
- Conducted compliance review and analysis on behalf of a consumer healthcare company embedded in a larger pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in a federal investigation involving allegations of violations under the False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute based on sales, marketing and pricing practices.
- Represented a generic pharmaceutical company in a federal investigation stemming from a qui tam lawsuit alleging violations under the False Claims Act.