Charles Kao is Counsel in the Corporate Department of Kaye Scholer’s Palo Alto office. Mr. Kao’s practice is concentrated in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, equity and debt financing transactions, technology development and licensing agreements, and strategic partnerships. He has counseled a broad range of public and private companies in industries ranging from high technology to public utilities. Mr. Kao previously served as General Counsel for a privately held network security company based in Silicon Valley. He is also fluent in Mandarin Chinese and works closely with attorneys in our Shanghai office.
- Represented a semiconductor equipment maker in a $500+ million cross-border combination involving two U.S. public companies and a German company with 11 global subsidiaries.
- Represented the acquirer in the largest merger of California investor-owned water utilities in a stock-for-stock reorganization involving NYSE and NASDAQ listed companies.
- Represented developer of rich media advertising platform in its acquisition by an internet media and advertising technology company.
- Served as lead counsel for strategic investors in next generation companies in the areas of biopharmaceuticals, renewable energy, semiconductors and synthetic biology.
- Represented leading health insurance companies in nationwide strategic acquisitions and sell-side transactions.
- Served as main outside corporate counsel to emerging growth companies in industries ranging from social media to clean technology.
- Handled a wide range of intellectual property licensing, product marketing, distribution and related transactions for companies involved in software, internet, telecommunications, media, semiconductors and renewable energy.
- Handled various asset-based and convertible debt financing transactions for both lender and borrower side engagements.