Mark J. Maier applies his US Army, electrical engineering and business background to government contracts, critical infrastructure and matters before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). He concentrates on highly classified contracts and transactions for energy, technology, IP and telecommunications. Mr. Maier leads the firm’s National Security practice which assists clients in growing their government, public and private businesses and protecting their assets from the convergence of foreign, domestic and internal threats. He also ensures regulatory compliance with NISPOM, CFIUS and FCC requirements. He holds a current security clearance and is CIPP/US, COR and MCSE certified.
In addition to his legal work, Mr. Maier is a colonel in the US Army Reserves and the US Army’s emergency preparedness officer for the state of Maryland where he works with FEMA, the National Guard and other agencies to improve homeland security. Previously, Mr. Maier was the battalion commander of a tactical line unit and served in special operations, intelligence and conventional units. He has substantial experience creating and operating intelligence community (IC) platforms as a member of a special mission unit (SMU) and special access programs (SAP). While called back to active duty for tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, Mr. Maier was the J6 (aka CIO) for his joint special operations task force and responsible for all communication soldiers and systems used to conduct hundreds of successful raids against high-value targets.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Maier was a practicing electrical engineer and business executive. He has been the test director in charge of telecommunication quality assurance teams evaluating troposcatter and line-of-sight transmission systems for the US Army’s Information Systems Engineering Command–Europe. He also designed networks and configured applications for Aage Hempel International A/S in Denmark and Datacraft Australia Pty Ltd in Australia and started an early generation systems integration business for Digital Equipment Corporation.
- Electricity and Gas Utility in the negotiation of a 50 year electricity and gas utility privatization contracts including creating new provisions with DLA governing system disposition and clawing back post-termination costs due to a BRAC closure.
- Classified Government Contractor in the successful intervention in opposition to a protest of a TS/SCI data exploitation contract and prevented additional awardees, reconsideration, and any other corrective action.
- Multiple National and Regional Electricity Services Providers in the negotiation for the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of geothermal, bio steam, solar and wind energy to the US Government under Marine Corp energy savings performance contracts (ESPC), Army multiple award task order contracts (MATOC), Navy power purchase agreements (PPA) and GSA area-wide contracts.
- Energy Grid Operator in the counseling of energy resiliency, microgrids, security enclaves and proximity based threat prioritization
- Benefits Provider in the unwinding of a business purchase due to a denial of the novation request, including transferring employees, intellectual property, assigned contracts, ongoing business and capital assets.
- Smart Phone Manufacturer in the successful protest of a DHS sole source purchase of smart phones. We also obtained the inclusion of the client manufacture back into competitive consideration.
- Nuclear, Geothermal, Biothermal and Offshore Wind Companies in the contracting with the DOE’s national labs to conduct research and development under agreements for commercializing technology (ACT), cooperative research and development agreements (CRADA), works for others (WFO) agreements and assistance agreements (AA).
- Classified Government Contractor in the assessments, valuations, diligence, subcontractor disputes, alliance formation and development of market strategies for the provision of operational support and training services.
- Provider of Specialized Services in its response to national security letters, counter terrorism activities and related compliance obligations under the USA PATRIOT, USA FREEDOM, ECPA, FISA and CALEA Acts.
- Off-Shore Investment Fund in the review and compliance with CFIUS requirements as part of its acquisition of a US manufacturer of security products.
- Weapons Manufacturer in foreign military sales (FMS) requirements, investigations and compliance actions.
- International Aerostructures Manufacturer in is review and compliance with ITAR/EAR requirements as part of its potential purchase of a US jet engine parts manufacturer.
- US Subsidiary of an Asian Parent in the mitigation of FOCI risks and ongoing compliance with CFIUS and DSS requirements under a National Security Agreement (NSA)and a Special Security Agreement (SSA).
- US Telecommunications Carrier in its core business outsourcing to an offshore provider.
Critical Infrastructure: Telecom, Tech, IP, Cyber and Transportation
- Aerospace and Defense Company in a settlement with the FCC and avoidance of forfeitures in connection with the transfer of spectrum as part of an M&A spin off.
- International Food & Beverage Provider to the Airline Industry in the creation, purchase, transition and certification of an in-flight Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) compliant system.
- US Telecommunications Carrier in the negotiation and performance of a billion-dollar IT outsourcings in parallel with conducting a highly sensitive national security investigations and remediation of data security issues subject to DSS NISPOM compliance requirements under classified contracts.
- Ocean Container Terminal Operator in the design and implementation of a large container port logistics systems using RFID, OCR, GPS and WiFi.
- Multi-National Logistics Company in the parallel negotiations against the US and European carriers for voice and data services at hundreds of international locations.
- Electricity Utility in the negotiation and performance of nuclear power generation, operations and maintence services.
- Water and Sanitation District in the negotiation of Oracle, SAP and other ERP system and cloud service licenses and services.
- International Manufacturer of Pharmaceutical Products in the negotiation of terms for the compliance with European Safe Harbor, Standard Contractual Clauses, and Binding Corporate Rules for the procurement of cloud-based international HR SaaS services and international pharmaceutical products.
- Regional Water Utility in obtaining FCC narrowband waivers for, and guided the implementation of, an urban public safety distributed antenna systems (DAS) and an underground SCADA system.
- County School Board in the implementation of a wireless broadband service and substantial educational use of licensed frequencies as part of a FCC de facto spectrum transfer lease.
- Large US Bank in the development of options and recommended solutions to implement nationwide e911 services.
- Owner and Operator of Multi-Tenant Residential Housing in acquiring of voice, video, and data services for REITs, including service details, fee structures, specifying demarcations and ensuring for compliance with FCC regulations and ancillary tax requirements.
- International Transportation Company in the development of a new Department of Transportation compliant truck safety product and services.
- Analytics Medical Company in the creation of a supply chain, manufacturer, reseller, developer and grant agreements for medical analytics, patient-reported outcome, and imaging equipment providers.
- Agricultural, Pharmaceutical and Tobacco Companies in the negotiation of IT and business process outsourcings.
In the Market
Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade
and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016
Maier to Discuss Insider Threats and NISPOM
Change 2 at ABA Webinar September 21, 2016
- Maier to Speak at Second Annual FCC Boot Camp June 27—29, 2016
- Maier Manages Military Support to Vibrant Response 2016 May 1–7, 2016