Manvin Mayell is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on white collar investigations and litigations, as well as major product liability cases and commercial litigation matters. He has represented pharmaceutical companies in investigations and litigations regarding government claims that marketing and contracting practices violate the False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute, and has used those experiences to counsel clients regarding broad compliance issues. In addition, Manvin has represented financial services clients in internal investigations of alleged accounting fraud. Prior to joining Kaye Scholer, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York.
Manvin has also represented domestic and foreign corporations in a variety of litigations, including the nationally coordinated defense of leading pharmaceutical companies facing hundreds of product liability suits, as well as antitrust and breach of contract litigations. He is an experienced trial lawyer, having tried numerous cases to verdict and has handled a variety of appeals. Manvin is a co-author of the Kaye Scholer LLP Deskbook on Internal Investigations, Corporate Compliance and White Collar Issues (Practising Law Institute 2014), focusing on issues under the federal False Claims Act.
Manvin was an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York from 1991 to 1999, where he headed the environmental and tax and bankruptcy units of that office’s Civil Division. During his tenure, he tried a number of cases and handled a wide range of civil litigation matters, including federal False Claims Act investigations and litigations, a civil RICO action against a corrupt labor union, ERISA litigation and employment and civil rights cases. In 1996, Manvin received the Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant United States Attorney.
- Major pharmaceutical companies regarding government investigations and litigations concerning marketing and contracting practices, including allegations of off-label promotion, kickbacks and false price reporting.
- Defense contractors in government investigations regarding potential False Claims Act issues.
- AstraZeneca, as a member of the co-national counsel team, in thousands of product liability lawsuits alleging that its antipsychotic medication Seroquel causes diabetes.
- Novartis Consumer Health, Inc. in the phenylpropanolamine (PPA) product liability cases, coordinating trial strategy and litigation efforts nationally. Manvin worked closely with medical experts in developing trial testimony and handled expert discovery. The trials resulted in four defense verdicts and no plaintiff verdicts.
- Large international pharmaceutical company in an antitrust action related to patent infringement allegations regarding a new drug product.
- Audit committee of a public company in an internal investigation of alleged accounting fraud.
- Financial institution in a breach of contract suit related to underwriting and servicing subprime loans.
- Large financial institution in the successful defense at trial of a breach of contract lease claim against it by the landlord, resulting in the dismissal of all claims.
- Leading brewer in a breach of contract claim regarding bottling equipment.
In The Market
- GIR 100 Names Kaye Scholer a World Leader in Cross-Border Investigations October 10, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Secures First Circuit Win on Behalf of Novartis in False Claims Act Lawsuit July 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- PLI Publishes 13th Edition of Kaye Scholer's Deskbook on Internal Investigations, Corporate Compliance & White Collar Issues November 5, 2014 • Client Successes