Karalyn Meany is the senior Associate in the National Security/CFIUS Practice Group of Kaye Scholer’s Washington, DC office, focusing her practice in the areas of Exon-Florio reviews before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), industrial security and export control compliance.
She has represented clients in more than 100 CFIUS reviews and has extensive experience with national security requirements in connection with complex transactions, including negotiation and implementation of CFIUS mitigation arrangements covering a variety of market sectors and security issues.
Karalyn has negotiated, prepared, and advised regarding compliance with, and implementation of, numerous foreign ownership, control or influence (FOCI) mitigation arrangements, including Special Security Agreements, Proxy Agreements, Security Control Agreements and FOCI Board Resolutions.
She has also conducted export compliance and industrial security due diligence for many transactions covering a range of business sectors; advised clients with respect to voluntary disclosures before the US Department of State, the US Department of Commerce and the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control; and represented clients with respect to a variety of export control compliance matters.
- Exon-Florio reviews before CFIUS on more than 100 transactions ranging in value from less than $1 million to $38 billion.
- FOCI mitigation arrangements in compliance with national industrial security regulations.
- Export control compliance matters before the Department of State and the Department of Commerce.
- Representation of principal Italian industrial group operating globally in aerospace, defense and security sectors; advice and counsel concerning US national security regulatory approvals for acquisitions.
- Representation of the world’s largest supplier of commercial airplane assemblies and components; advice and counsel on national security issues related to $1.65 billion initial public offering and subsequent transactions.
- Representation of major British defense company in numerous acquisitions of US national security contractors, including a $1.8 billion acquisition.
- Representation of one of the world’s leading aerospace and defense electronics companies; advice and counsel in national security issues related to strategic Foreign Direct Investment acquisitions in the United States.