Matthew Micheli is Counsel in the Chicago office of Kaye Scholer. He represents debtors, lenders, bondholders, agents and indenture trustees in workouts and reorganizations throughout the United States and in cross-border restructurings.
Representative engagements include:
- Representing 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. in its chapter 11 proceedings pending in SDNY. 4Kids is an entertainment and media company that manages licensing, broadcast and merchandising rights to popular children’s titles, including Cabbage Patch Kids, Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles, Pokemon and the Japanese anime series Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Representing the indenture trustee in the chapter 11 cases of Quincy Medical Centers, Inc. pending in the Western District of Massachusetts. Quincy Medical Centers was a hospital located in Quincy Mass. which was sold 90 days into the case. The indenture trustee led the plan process which was confirmed less than 5 months after commencement of the case.
- Represented GSC Group in its chapter 11 proceedings in SDNY. GSC was an investment manager with a diverse portfolio of private equity, mezzanine loan, and CLO/CDOs in the US and Europe. At its peak, GSC had $28 billion of assets under management. In the first 60 days of the case, GSC conducted a three-day auction pursuant to which its lenders were the highest bidder. Kaye Scholer developed and implemented a consent process that was novel and achieved the consensual transfer of the assets. The sale was opposed by a minority group of lenders but ultimately approved under section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented Van Kampen Funds in the chapter 11 cases filed by Ames Taping Tools, a national building supplier based in Atlanta, GA. The cases were filed in Delaware and the business was sold to existing investors in 363 sale that closed in 90 days.
- Represented the term lenders to WCI Communities, Inc. in their chapter 11 cases filed in Delaware. WCI is a fully integrated homebuilding and real estate services company based in Bonita Springs, FL.
- Represented Nutritional Sourcing Corporation in its chapter 11 proceedings in Delaware. Nutritional Sourcing Corporation owned and operated one of the leading supermarket chains and in-home movie and game entertainment outlets (through a franchise with Blockbuster Inc.) in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Nutritional Sourcing Corporation sold all of its grocery store assets in a 363 sale and completed the sale of all remaining assets through a chapter 11 plan of liquidation.
- Advised manufacturer MAAX Corp. in successful cross-border restructuring in Canada (CCAA) and U.S. under chapter 15 cases filed in Delaware.
- Represented InSight Health Services Holdings Corp. in its chapter 11 proceedings in Delaware. On the first day of the bankruptcy cases, InSight Health Services Holdings Corp. filed a pre-negotiated chapter 11 plan which was confirmed 42 days after commencement of the chapter 11 cases.
In The Market
- Kaye Scholer’s Representation of 4Kids Named One of 2012’s Most Successful Restructurings February 11, 2013 • Recognitions
- 4Kids Named One of 2012’s Most Successful Restructurings January 28, 2013 • Recognitions
- ‘Yu-Gi-Oh!’ Distributor Gets $8 Million, Retains Distribution Rights in Legal Settlement March 5, 2012 • Media Mentions