Nick O’Keefe is a partner in the Corporate Department in Silicon Valley. He has over 20 years of corporate law and M&A experience, with an emphasis on buy-side and sell-side work and takeover defense, including domestic and cross-border deals. His clients include strategics, private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds and financial advisors. He has completed more than 50 publicly announced deals ranging in value from a few million dollars to several billion dollars. Nick also advises emerging growth and mature issuer clients with respect to general corporate work, corporate governance matters, federal and state securities law matters and securities transactions (registered and exempt, including equity, convertibles and high yield).
Nick has worked extensively with public and private companies in the health care, life sciences, medical device, fintech, technology, media and telecommunications industries, among others. He has also represented several venture capital and private equity funds making investments, acquisitions and dispositions in these industries.
Including experience prior to joining Kaye Scholer, his representative work has involved matters for the following clients:
- Aclara Biosciences, Inc. in the US$200 million stock/CVR merger of equals with Virologics, Inc.
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. in the US$5.6 billion cash/stock acquisition of ATI Technologies, Inc.
- Alliance HealthCare Services, Inc. in several private acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Aviron in general company representation, financings and US$1.6 billion sale of company to MedImmune, Inc.
- Genstar Capital in the simultaneous acquisitions of a public company and a private company in the healthcare technology services industries.
- Intuitive Surgical, Inc. in the acquisition of a Korean company.
- KKR in the sale of a controlling interest in Alliance HealthCare Services to Oaktree Capital, and in the restructuring of a private technology company.
- KKR and Silver Lake in the US$2.7 billion LBO acquisition of the semi-conductor products group of Agilent Technologies Inc. to create Avago Technologies Limited.
- Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. in the acquisition of control of two public companies;
- Kyphon Inc. in several acquisitions and investments, and simultaneous US$4 billion sale of company to Medtronic, Inc. and FTC-mandated divestiture.
- McAfee, Inc. in the acquisition of a private company.
- Micrel, Inc. in a proxy fight with a hedge fund activist.
- Microsoft Corporation in a joint venture transaction.
- Nuvelo, Inc. in general company representation, several financings and merger of equals with Variagenics, Inc.
- QLT Inc., a Canadian company, in the US$850 million cash/stock acquisition of Atrix Laboratories, Inc.
- Scios, Inc. in the US$2.4 billion cash sale of company to Johnson & Johnson.
- Terayon Communications Systems, Inc., an Israeli company, in the US$200 million cash sale of company to Motorola, Inc.
- Tessera, Inc. in its initial public offering.
- TI Group plc in a “like-kind exchange” of businesses with EG&G, Inc.
- Western Resources, Inc., in simultaneous hostile exchange offers for two public companies.
- VantagePoint Venture Partners in the cash acquisition of the worldwide assets of the thermal division of ASML, Inc.
- Veeva Systems Inc. in the cash acquisition of Zinc Ahead, a leading provider of content management solutions for life sciences companies, for approximately US$130 million.
- Verisity Ltd., an Israeli company, in the acquisition of a private company, and US$300 million cash sale of company to Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
- Xilinx, Inc. with regard to strategic transactions.
- Yahoo, Inc. in the acquisition of a Middle Eastern company.
Nick also has a deep understanding of emerging markets, having spent three years working in the Middle East. His practice in the Middle East included regional and cross-border deals involving Middle East private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds and regional and US issuers investing in the Middle East.
In The Market
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veeva Systems on Industry-Transforming Acquisition of Zinc Ahead September 30, 2015 • Client Successes