Jennifer B. Patterson litigates complex commercial disputes with a focus on antitrust litigation and counseling. She has handled a wide range of litigations from inception through trial and appeals. She has defended major US and foreign corporations in private antitrust lawsuits and class actions and in related investigations and enforcement proceedings by the Department of Justice, state attorneys general, and foreign competition agencies. She has handled internal investigations concerning potential antitrust violations and other illegal activity. Jennifer has advised companies with respect to the antitrust implications of mergers and acquisitions, including conducting worldwide analyses of pre-merger notification requirements and acting as coordinating counsel for all necessary filings. She also advises on distribution and pricing programs and other aspects of competitor and customer relations. Jennifer has counseled and represented clients in such industries as rail freight transportation, auto parts, pharmaceuticals, biometric identification, poultry breeding, food additives, pesticides, publishing, aircraft parts, optical film and flat glass manufacturing.
Jennifer speaks and writes in both Europe and the US on antitrust and cross border litigation issues. She is Co-Chair of the International Chamber of Commerce Competition Commission Task Force on Due Process, Vice Chair of the United States Council for International Business Competition Committee, and is a nongovenmental adviser to the International Competition Network.
- Japanese automobile parts manufacturer in a major Department of Justice antitrust investigation.
- Class 1 railroad, serving as co-counsel, in a nationwide class action antitrust lawsuit against major US railroads alleging collusion to fix fuel surcharges on freight shipments in Re Rail Freight Fuel Surcharge Antitrust Litigation (U.S. District Court., D.D.C.).
- Hoechst GmbH and its German and US affiliates in numerous class actions and State Attorney General actions alleging price-fixing of sorbates, a food preservative. Obtained dismissals or favorable settlements in all cases including Freeman Industries, LLC v. Eastman Chemical Co., et al, (Law Court for Sullivan County at Kingsport, Tennessee).
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. in whistle-blower action alleging financial improprieties with respect to valuation of a branded pharmaceutical product in Shull v. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. (New Jersey State Court).
- Japanese affiliate of a US conglomerate in an internal investigation to uncover and evaluate potential antitrust violations.
- European pharmaceutical company in an internal investigation in connection with the UN Oil-for-Food bribery scandal.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Wacker AG in multi-jurisdictional reviews of and pre-merger notifications in its acquisition of Air Products Polymers. Obtained early termination of the HSR waiting period in the U.S.
- Meggitt PLC in compliance with a second request issued in connection with the acquisition of K&F Industries, Inc., a manufacturer of aircraft wheels and brakes. The DOJ cleared the transaction shortly after issuing the second request.
In The Market
- GIR 100 Names Kaye Scholer a World Leader in Cross-Border Investigations October 10, 2016 • Recognitions
- GCR Highly Recommends Kaye Scholer Antitrust Practice January 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Defends Government Contract Award in Bid Protest Litigation March 20, 2014 • Client Successes