Chris Peterson’s practice is primarily in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and other securities matters, with an emphasis on high-yield debt, acquisition finance and cross-border financing, representing both issuers and underwriters in a wide variety of public and private debt and equity offerings. He has extensive experience structuring and advising dealer managers and issuers on liability management transactions, including a range of tender and exchange offers and consent solicitations. His practice also includes representation of private and public companies in general corporate and securities law matters.
Chris has been recognized in the 2014 edition of the IFLR 1000 and designated a “leading lawyer” by Legal 500, which described him as “very knowledgeable” and “flexible and creative,” helping clients to “reach a mutually agreeable solution within the boundaries of relevant regulation.”
- Representation of Liberty Tire Recycling in an offering of $175 million of PIK notes and common stock pursuant to an exchange offer for its existing $225 million senior notes undertaken in connection with an out-of-court restructuring of the company.
- Representation of Spirit AeroSystems, Inc. in several concurrent transactions, including a $300 million notes offering, a related tender offer for outstanding notes and an equity offering by certain stockholders.
- Representation of Unifrax I LLC, a portfolio company of American Securities LLC and a leading worldwide manufacturer of industrial ceramic fiber products, in its inaugural high-yield offering of $205 million of 7.50% senior notes due 2019 as part of a $670 million financing transaction, and a subsequent $50 million additional notes offering and related consent solicitation, the proceeds of which were used, respectively, to fund Unifrax’s acquisition of Lauscha Fiber International and to acquire strategic assets in China.
- Representation of Liberty Tire Recycling, in a consent solicitation to amend the terms of the indenture governing its existing 11% senior notes due 2016 and an additional 144A notes offering of $25 million of 11% senior notes due 2016 under the existing indenture.
- Representation of Central European Media Enterprises Ltd. (CME) in connection with a refinancing transaction with Time Warner Inc. and numerous tender and exchange offers pursuant to the restructuring of existing indebtedness of CME.
- Representation of Spartan Capital Holdings Sp. z o.o., Eileme 1 AB (publ) and Eileme 2 AB (publ) in the offering of €542 million of 11.75% senior notes due 2020, $500 million of 11.625% senior notes due 2020 and $201 million PIK notes due 2020. The offering was used to refinance the high yield and PIK bridge loans incurred in connection with the PLN 18.1 billion acquisition of Polkomtel, Poland’s second-largest mobile network operator.
- Representation of the underwriters, led by BofA Merrill Lynch and Wells Fargo Securities, in the offering of $400 million of 4.5% senior notes due 2021 by Darden Restaurants, Inc.
- Representation of the dealers and arranger, led by Citigroup Global Markets, Inc., in the establishment of a $15 billion medium term notes program by Svenska Handelsbanken AB (publ) and the Section 3(a)(2) issuance thereunder of $1.25 billion of senior notes.
- Representation of the underwriters, led by Barclays Capital and Wells Fargo Securities, in the offering of $250 million of 5.75% senior notes due 2017 by Centene Corporation.
- Representation of Applied Materials, Inc. in the financing of its $4.9 billion acquisition of Varian Semiconductor Equipment Associates, Inc.
- Representation of Johnson & Johnson in its offering of $4.4 billion of various floating and fixed rate senior notes with maturities ranging between 2013 and 2041.
- Representation of LifePoint Hospitals, Inc. in its offering of $400 million of 6.625% senior notes due 2020, the company’s inaugural high-yield notes offering.
- Representation of the underwriters, led by BofA Merrill Lynch and Barclays Capital, respectively, in concurrent public offerings of $330 million of common stock and $600 million of 7.375% senior notes due 2020 by Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation. The offerings were used to fund Phillips-Van Heusen’s acquisition of Tommy Hilfiger Corp.
- Representation of Central European Distribution Corporation (CEDC) in concurrent offerings of high-yield senior secured notes due 2016 and common stock, resulting in aggregate proceeds of $1.2 billion. The offerings were used to finance, among other things, CEDC's acquisition of the Russian Alcohol Group.
- Representation of Barclays Capital as the underwriter in a registered secondary block trade of $70 million of common stock of Maidenform Brands, Inc.
- Representation of CEDC in the first-ever SEC-registered and European Union Prospectus Directive-compliant equity offering and concurrent Warsaw Stock Exchange dual listing.
- Representation of Gleacher & Company, Inc. in a series of transactions, including the sale of a controlling interest in the company to an affiliate of MatlinPatterson Global Opportunities Partners II, the sale of its municipal capital markets business to DEPFA BANK plc and the acquisition of American Technology Research Holdings, Inc.
- Representation of Weather Investments S.p.A, Wind Telecom S.p.A. and affiliated companies in the €2 billion bridge, high-yield and PIK financing for the €12 billion leveraged buyout of Wind. The Wind transaction was named “European Debt & Equity-Linked Deal of 2005” by International Financial Law Review.
- Representation of Burns, Philp & Company Limited in a series of high-yield debt issuances, including a unique high-yield debt offering to finance its unsolicited offer to acquire Goodman Fielder Limited.
- Representation of CEDC in an offering of $310 million of convertible senior notes.
- Representation of the initial purchasers, led by Citigroup Global Markets and Banc of America Securities, in the offering of $800 million senior subordinated and senior discount notes. The offering was used to finance the leveraged buyout of Vanguard Health Holding Company.
- Representation of the underwriters, led by Credit Suisse, in the initial public offering of Cabela’s Inc. and the subsequent secondary offering by certain of its stockholders.
In addition, Chris has represented Barclays Capital; Goldman Sachs; Credit Suisse; UBS Securities; Deutsche Bank Securities; Citigroup; J.P. Morgan Securities; LifePoint Hospitals, Inc.; and CoBank ACB as issuers and managers in numerous liability management transactions, including exchange and tender offers with a variety of fixed-spread, waterfall and flex structures designed to maximize the efficiency of such transactions.
In the Market
- SEC Announces Second Round of Cybersecurity Examinations September 28, 2015
- How Regulation A Can Help M&A Practitioners August 24, 2015
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter | Summer 2015 August 20, 2015