William A. Tanenbaum is Head of Kaye Scholer’s multidisciplinary, multi-office IP & Technology Transactions Group, which is ranked in the First Tier at the National Level by US News & World Report/Best Lawyers. Bill is also the Head of the firm’s GreenTech & Sustainability Group. Bill was named the “Lawyer of the Year in Information Technology Law in New York in 2013 by Best Lawyers. Bill’s practice focuses on the development and deployment of information technology and technology services for Fortune 500 and other companies. His practice includes litigation and transactions involving IP, IT, outsourcing, data security-related issues and technology, and data sharing. He also focuses on Healthcare IT, strategic IP counseling, IT and IP aspects of corporate transactions and Government IT. He assists clients in using Big Data and analytics, cloud and mobile computing, and social media and in integrating them into existing IT systems and business processes.
Bill is ranked in Band One in Technology & Outsourcing in New York by Chambers, which found that he “built one of New York City’s most outstanding transactional IT practices.” He is also recognized as one of the Top 30 Information Technology Lawyers in the US, an “IP Star,” a “Life Science Star” for his work in Healthcare IT, and as one of the “CleanTech 100” for his work in IP and IT. He is recommended in Licensing and named as a leading lawyer in Internet & e-Commerce (by Expert Guide’s Best of the Best, Managing IP Handbook 2014, Euromoney’s LMG Life Science Guide 2012-2013 and LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide, IAM’s The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners and Who’s Who Legal, respectively).” IP Law Experts Guide named Bill as the “Recommended IT Lawyer in New York.” (Only one attorney is designated in each state.) Bill is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2002-2015) for Information Technology Law. The common element in his practice is that clients in a range of industries retain him for his IP, IT and data analytics experience.
Bill is a past President of the International Technology Law Association. He is currently a Vice President of the Society for Information Management (Metro New York Chapter), an industry association of CIOs and senior IT executives, and the Attorney-Designate to the Advisory Board of the Sourcing Interests Group, an industry outsourcing association.
Surveys of clients, in-house counsel and peer attorneys by leading legal research publications find that he:
- “is one of the best IP attorneys I have worked with” (Euromoney’s LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide)
- “has the depth of experience to convert client challenges into client opportunities” and “attracts high praise for his ability to size up a situation and come up with efficient steps to build a desired deal” (Chambers)
- is “at a stage in his career where no issue is unfamiliar, too complex or intimidating to take on” (Chambers)
- “brings extremely high integrity, a deep intellect, fearless and a practical, real world mindset to every problem” (Chambers)
- is “smart, practical, tactical and highly strategic” and “an effective negotiator” (Chambers)
- is “intellectual yet pragmatic” and “among the market’s foremost IT licensing experts and a leading authority on related issues such as data security, privacy and social media” (World’s 250 Leading Patent and Technology Lawyers)
- “draws on a truly impressive array of technology law expertise, creativity, high integrity and common sense, and he gets parties to closure” (Legal500)
- “is an acknowledged expert on the convergence of mainstream businesses with cleantech” (Chambers)
Because of the strength of Bill’s practice, Kaye Scholer was named as the “Technology & Outsourcing Law Firm of the Year in New York for 2013” by Global Law Experts1 and is “Recommended” for IP in CleanTech in the Clean Technology and Renewable Guide. Bill’s experience and leadership in the fields of technology transactions and outsourcing were recognized when he was selected to serve as the neutral arbitrator in a $30 million outsourcing dispute and other arbitrations.
Bill is the lead partner in IP and IT transactions and patent litigations. He led a litigation team that handled a significant business method patent case for a multinational financial institution. He also led a team that won a victory for a multinational medical device client in a patent case in the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Selected Notable Matters
- Established technology infrastructures for US companies in China for the Beijing Olympics
- Advised NASA and the New York County Lawyers’ Association on intellectual property matters
- Retained by the government of Finland for IT project
- Retained by Costco in establishing its online store in China and the Alibaba platform
- Retained by Vince for a global IT reorganization
- Retained by State Attorneys General for state-wide IT projects
- Drafted open source and cloud computing corporate policies
- Advises in private sector IT, business process and knowledge process outsourcing, and IT agreements for financial institutions, insurance companies and other Fortune 500 companies
- Advises in public sector IT and business process outsourcing, including engagements by the New York City Housing Authority and the State of Washington
- Updated Internet Commerce websites for financial institutions
- Advises on IT data contextual privacy, database breaches, data protection, data sharing and cybersecurity
- Advises on Big Data and analytics for business advantage and risk mitigation
Conference Chairmanships and Annual Speaking Engagements
- Founder and Co-Chair, PLI Annual Outsourcing Conference
- Founder and Chair, PLI Annual Health Care IT Conference
- Co-Chair, LSI Annual Technology Law Conference
- Co-Chair, LSI Big Data Conference
- Annual speaker at Sourcing Interests Group Global Summit Conferences (an industry outsourcing association)
- Annual speaker PLI IP Law Institute on IP Licensing
- Frequent speaker at other legal and industry conferences