William A. Tanenbaum is Head of Kaye Scholer’s multidisciplinary, multi-office IP & Technology Transactions Group, which is ranked in the First Tier at the National Level and in New York by US News & World Report/Best Lawyers. Bill is also the Head of the firm’s GreenTech & Sustainability Group. Bill was named the “Lawyer of the Year” in Information Technology Law in New York by Best Lawyers in 2013 and is a past President of the International Technology Law Association. Bill’s practice focuses on intellectual property and technology transactions, litigation and strategy counseling. His practice includes IT transactions, combined IP and IT transactions, outsourcing and procurement, cyber-security, data protection and privacy, and the IT and IP aspects of M&A and corporate transactions. It also includes Cloud provider and Software-, Platform- and Infrastructure-as-a-Service arrangements, including cybersecurity. Bill assists clients in using Big Data, machine learning and analytics, Social Media and Cloud and Mobile computing, and in integrating them into existing IT systems and business processes for competitive advantage, risk mitigation and regulatory compliance.
Bill is ranked in Band One in Technology & Outsourcing in New York and in Band Two nationally by Chambers, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, which found that he “built one of New York City’s most outstanding transactional IT practices.” He is also recognized as one of the Top 30 Information Technology Lawyers in the US, an “IP Star,” a “Life Science Star” for his work in Healthcare IT, as one of the “CleanTech 100,” and as a leading lawyer in Internet & E-Commerce and “Recommended in Licensing” (by Expert Guide’s Best of the Best, Managing IP Handbook 2014, Euromoney’s LMG Life Science Guide 2012-2014, LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide, IAM’s The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners and Who’s Who Legal, respectively). IP Law Experts Guide named Bill as the “Recommended IT Lawyer in New York.” (Only one attorney is designated in each state.) Bill is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2002-2015) for Information Technology Law and in Who’s Who Legal: Telecom, Media & Technology: 2015. The common element in his practice is that clients in a range of industries retain him for his IP, IT and business technology experience.
Bill is currently a Vice President of the Society for Information Management (Metro New York Chapter), an industry association of CIOs and senior IT executives.
Surveys of clients, in-house counsel and peer attorneys by leading legal research publications find that he:
- “is one of the best IP attorneys I have worked with” (Euromoney’s LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide)
- “brings extremely high integrity, a deep intellect, fearlessness and a practical, real-world mindset to every problem” (Chambers)
- “draws on a truly impressive array of technology law expertise, creativity, high integrity and common sense, and he gets parties to closure” (Legal500)
- is “at a stage in his career where no issue is unfamiliar, too complex or intimidating to take on” (Chambers)
- “has the depth of experience to convert client challenges into client opportunities” (Chambers)
- “attracts high praise for his ability to size up a situation and come up with efficient steps to build a desired deal” (Chambers)
- is “intellectual yet pragmatic” and “among the market’s foremost IT licensing experts and a leading authority on related issues such as data security, privacy and social media” (World’s 250 Leading Patent and Technology Lawyers)
- “an effective negotiator” (Chambers)
- “is an acknowledged expert on the convergence of mainstream businesses with cleantech” (Chambers)
Because of the strength of Bill’s practice, Kaye Scholer was named as the Peer Choice Winner of the 2015 Corporate INTL Legal Award, as “Technology & Outsourcing Law Firm of the Year in New York,” as the “Technology & Outsourcing Law Firm of the Year in New York for 2013” by Global Law Experts and as a “Recommended” Firm for IP in CleanTech in the Clean Technology and Renewable Guide. Bill’s experience and leadership in the fields of technology transactions and outsourcing were recognized when he was selected to serve as the neutral arbitrator in a $30 million outsourcing dispute and as a party and neutral arbitrator in other arbitrations.
Bill is the lead partner in patent litigations. He led a team that handled a significant business method patent case for a multinational financial institution. He also led a team that won a victory for a multinational medical device client in a patent case in the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Selected Notable Matters
- Established technology infrastructures for First Data and other US companies in China for the Beijing Olympics
- Advised NASA and the New York County Lawyers’ Association on intellectual property matters
- Retained by the government of Finland, the State of Hawaii, the New York City Housing Authority and the State of Washington for outsourcing and state-wide IT projects
- Retained by Costco to establish its online store in China on the Alibaba platform
- Retained by American Express, Morgan Stanley, MSCI, Nordea Bank and other financial institutions for IT and outsourcing transactions with Tier 1 vendors and for outsourcing dispute resolution
- Retained by Guardian, AXA and other insurance companies for outsourcing, IT and IP litigation advice
- Retained by Ryder, Carestream (spin-off from Kodak) and other companies for domestic and offshore outsourcing
- Retained by Novartis, the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and other companies for health care IT
- Retained by Wyndham Worldwide, The Beverly Hills Hotel and other companies in the hospitality industry for IT, outsourcing and IT-enabled sustainability matters
- Retained by video game company Nexon for dispute resolution
- Retained to structure corporate “bring your own device” polices
- Retained to develop corporate open-source software polices for internal and external software development
- Retained by domestic and foreign aerospace and defense companies for IP, IT and outsourcing
- Retained by Wyndham and others to handle database breaches and IT remediation of the same
- Retained to handle projects for data center infrastructure, enterprise resource planning projects, using IT for cost-reduction, to align IT and business, and to integrate IT into mainstream products and services in retails and other industry sectors
Conference Chairmanships and Annual Speaking Engagements
- Founder and Co-Chair, PLI Annual Outsourcing Conference
- Founder and Chair, PLI Annual Health Care IT Conference
- Co-Chair, LSI Annual Technology Law Conference
- Co-Chair, LSI Big Data Conference
- Speaker at Sourcing Interests Group Global Summit Conferences (an industry outsourcing association)
- Speaker on licensing at PLI Annual IP Law Institute on IP Licensing
- Frequent speaker at other legal and industry conferences