Ed Vergara is a partner in the Tax & Private Clients Department of Kaye Scholer’s New York office. Mr. Vergara’s practice focuses on advising individuals and private companies making investment and succession planning decisions. He represents clients with personal and business ties to a variety of international jurisdictions in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America.
Mr. Vergara’s diverse client base includes fund managers, family businesses and entrepreneurs, in each case pursuing important tax and estate planning objectives that must be balanced against practical business considerations and investor demands. He regularly advises clients on tax-efficient structuring of investments in both the domestic and cross-border context, tax issues relevant to immigration into or out of the United States, multi-national families owning US and non-US businesses, and beneficiaries of foreign trusts and foundations.
Mr. Vergara is a frequent guest lecturer on panels regarding domestic and international estate planning, and is regularly cited in the media on a variety of tax and estate-planning topics.
- “The Advantages of Pooling Angel Investments,” Family Wealth Report, December 2011.
- "Death in the Soy Field Down Under: Inheritance and Gift Tax in Argentina's Buenos Aires Province," The Journal of Wealth Management, Summer 2011.
- “The FLP Quadrilogy,” Trusts and Estates Magazine, November 2009.
- “Special Report: The International Practice – Gift Tax Cost Depends on Form and Substance,” Trusts and Estates Magazine, November 2009.
- “Taking Stock (of Your Stock) – The Importance of Business Succession Planning,” Exit Planning Newsletter, June 2009.
- “Managing Risk,” Wealth Manager Magazine, January 2009.
- Speaker, “Mapping Your International Investment Strategy,” panel series, New York State Society of CPAs Family Office Committee, September 2015.
- Presentation, “Spotting International Issues for the Domestic Estate Plan,” BNA Webinar, March 2015.
- Speaker, "Coming to America: When to the US Gift & Estate Tax Rules Apply to an Immigrant," Estate Planning Council of Lower Fairfield County, February 2015.
- Speaker, "Riesgos fiscales y legales en inversiones immobilarias en EE.UU. y Soluciones Practicas," International Wealth Planners, Lima, Peru, September 2014.
- Host, Inside the Entrepreneurial Mind Monthly Breakfast Series, Greenwich, CT.
- Presentation, "Foreign Trust Challenges for US Tax Advisors: Navigating Fiduciary Accounting Income, Form 3520, FATCA," Strafford Publications Webinar, August 2014.
- Presentation, "International Tax Issues for the Domestic Estate Planner," BNA Webinar, August 2013.
- Presentation, "Foreign Trust Challenges for US Tax Professionals," Strafford Publications Webinar, July 2013.
- Speaker, "Tax Planning," Northeast Landmark Venture Forum, March 2013.
- Moderator, "Tax Update Panel," Landmark Venture Forum, December 2012.
- Presentation, "Pre-Immigration Tax Planning," HLB Estate and Trust Tax Services Group, September 2011.
- Presentation, "Gifting Fund Management Fees and Carried Interest Incentives," Stout Risius Ross Presentation, May 2011.
- "Preferred Partnership Freezes," Trusts and Estates Magazine, May 2011.
- Presentation, "Basics of International Taxation," ABA International Law Section 2010 Spring Meeting, April 2010.
- Presentations, "Tax and Estate Planning Updates," at Connecticut CPE Seminars, Norwalk and Hamden, CT, June 2009.
- Presentation, "Basics of International Taxation," New York State Bar Association First Annual Fundamentals of International Practice, April 2009.
In The Market
- Edward Vergara Joins Kaye Scholer’s Growing Tax & Private Clients Department February 22, 2016 • Firm News