Angela R. Vicari, a partner in the firm’s New York office, has considerable experience in product liability and mass tort defense and complex litigation. Her work and growing presence in the industry has been widely recognized. She was named a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation (2015), shortlisted by Chambers 2015 as a “Future Leader (Private Practice), honored as a “Lawyer Who Leads By Example” by the New York Law Journal (2012), twice shortlisted as a “Rising Star in Litigation” for the Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law Awards (2014 and 2013) and named a “Product Liability Rising Star” by Law360 (2012).
In her product liability and mass tort practice, Angela has defended product manufacturers in lawsuits in state and federal courts, including the coordination of the nationwide defense and multidistrict litigation proceedings of hundreds of cases involving medical devices, pharmaceutical products and consumer products, among others.
In her commercial litigation practice, Angela has represented global financial institutions, pharmaceutical companies and hedge funds in disputes in state and federal court, as well as in adversary proceedings in the bankruptcy courts. Her experience is varied and has included breach of contract, fraud and securities matters.
Representative Product Liability and Mass Tort Matters
- Irving Oil, Canada’s largest refinery, in a suit brought by the State of Vermont seeking statewide remediation of groundwater.
- Boston Scientific Corporation in litigation involving coronary stents. Won dismissal of several suits on federal preemption grounds, and served as counsel in coordinated proceedings in Massachusetts state court. (Named an Impact Case of the Year: Product Liability by LMG Life Sciences in 2014.)
- Pfizer in litigation regarding a prescription contraceptive injection.
- Pfizer in litigation involving a prescription antibiotic.
- Pfizer in asbestos litigation.
- Endo Pharmaceuticals and Qualitest Pharmaceuticals in the defense of lawsuits relating to a recall of several oral contraceptive products.
- Rawlings, sports equipment manufacturer, in two lawsuits arising from professional baseball. One case, involving a professional player who suffered a head injury after being struck by a pitch, was resolved without any finding of liability. The other matter was brought by a spectator at a New York Mets game when he was hit by a broken bat that flew into the stands. That case was dismissed without prejudice.
Representative Complex Commercial Litigation Matters
- Low-cost Indian airline in an arbitration in the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
- Large pharmaceutical manufacturer in an action brought by venture capitalists alleging breach of a merger agreement.
- Australian court-appointed liquidators of Octaviar Administration Pty Limited in an action before the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York against Drawbridge Special Opportunities Fund, Fortress Investment Group and certain of their affiliates. The action sought damages of approximately US$350 million and involved various claims under New York law and Australian law.
- Major financial institution in lawsuits seeking recovery for breaches of interest rate swap agreements.
Memberships & Honors
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York: Chair, Young Lawyers Committee (2011-2014); Member, E-Discovery Working Group
- "Lawyer Who Leads By Example," New York Law Journal (2012)
- "Future Leader (Private Practice)," Shortlist, Chambers (2015)
- “Future Star,” Benchmark Litigation (2015)
- "Product Liability Rising Star,” Law 360 (2012)
- "Rising Star in Litigation,” Shortlist, Euromoney LMG Americas Women in Business Law (2013, 2014)
- Discovery Practices Committee (Chair), Recruiting Committee, Professional Development and Communications Committee, Diversity and Inclusion Task Force, and Diversity Committee.
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author of legal chapter in Biomaterials Science, Third Edition: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine
- CLE Presentation: “A Life Sciences Trifecta: Seal the Deal, Protect Your IP and Position Your Company for Litigation Success”
- Presenter in New York Law Journal webinar regarding the use of predictive coding
- Published “From the Field of Sports Law” article in the Sports Business Journal regarding the traumatic brain injury lawsuits against the NFL by former players, following from her work for Rawlings Sporting Goods
Internships and Activities
- Angela is a former intern at the Women’s Sports Foundation, a charitable, educational organization founded by Billie Jean King and dedicated to promoting girls and women in sports and fitness.
- Angela played college basketball at NYU and led her team to the Division III Elite 8 twice and the Sweet Sixteen once. She won numerous student-athlete awards during her college career and was a recipient of an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship in recognition of her academic and athletic achievements. She now is a member of the NYU Athletics Hall of Fame Committee.
- Angela is the captain of the firm’s softball team, plays on the firm’s football team and contributed to the firm’s second-place finish in the 2013 Lawyer’s Cup ice hockey tournament, which raised money for Ice Hockey In Harlem.
In The Market
- Kaye Scholer Clients Are “Prevailing Parties” in Transgender Birth Certificate Case... May 10, 2016 • Client Successes
- Vicari Named a 2016 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow March 9, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Secures Seventh Circuit Generic Preemption Win February 3, 2016 • Client Successes