Dr. Martin Weger is a partner in Kaye Scholer’s Frankfurt office and heads the German Tax Practice. He primarily focuses on tax law, corporate finance and M&A.
As a certified tax lawyer, Martin advises clients in national and international tax law, corporate and capital markets law. He focuses on tax law aspects of restructuring and advising on corporate law issues relating to national and international M&A transactions, and the restructuring of partnerships and corporations. Martin also has extensive experience in advising national and international financial investors and enterprises as well as investment banks in real estate investments, distressed debt and non-performing loan investments, and factoring as well as securitization. Furthermore, Martin advises clients in connection with business restructurings as well as tax and estate planning for private clients. He has also successfully represented clients in out-of-court litigation with German fiscal authorities and before various tax courts, including the German Federal Tax Court (Bundesfinanzhof).
Martin was recommended by Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2012, 2013 and 2014) as a leading tax practitioner. “He is widely recognized for his expertise in domestic and international tax law, as well as corporate and capital markets.” Clients describe him as "creative, pragmatic, customer-focused and flexible," “very available and reachable if you have any questions or need support.” Furthermore, Martin has been nominated by Chambers Europe: Europe's Leading Lawyers for Business (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) where he is characterized as a "charismatic, intelligent and creative" practitioner with impressive judgment on tax questions. "Clients say they can engage him in frank discussions concerning a vast range of issues."
After having worked as an academic assistant at the University of Würzburg and on his doctoral thesis, Martin first practiced law at the Frankfurt office of Jones Day in 2002. After joining Kaye Scholer in 2005, he worked with the firm's New York office. Martin regularly publishes articles on tax and corporate law, and is a lecturer at the European Business School Oestrich-Winkel.
- Advising 328 Group in connection with the sale of their aviation companies to Sierra Nevada Corporation.
- Advising Uni-World Capital, LP and VanDeMark Chemical Inc. in connection with the purchase of Framochem Kft., the Hungarian manufacturer of specialty chemicals, from Isochem SAS, a portfolio company of Aurelius AG.
- Tax structuring advice to the founders of Victoria Partners GmbH, an independent German real estate investment banking boutique.
- Representing a private individual in a tax litigation case in connection with German controlled foreign companies rules.
- Representing a real estate investment company in all tax audit proceedings.
- Advising a real estate company in connection with a joint venture, together with an Israeli PE investor.
- Representation of approximately 150 private clients in connection with their voluntary tax disclosures in Germany and all related personal income tax issues, investment tax law, as well as ancillary business and trade tax issues.
- In court representation of a real estate company in an exemplary tax case defending RETT blocker structures.
- Representing an IT corporation in day-to-day tax compliance matters.
- Advising a leading European IT distributor in the structuring and the contractual implementation of a factoring club deal with a transaction volume of €235 million.
- Advising a leading European IT distributor, as the originator, in the securitization of supplier claims within an Asset Backed Commercial Paper Program with a transaction volume of €100 million.
- Advising an AIM-listed real estate company in the acquisition of several commercial estates, including tax law, financial structuring and contractual implementation, with a transaction volume of €220 million.
- Advising a real estate company in the sale of a commercial real estate portfolio to a US real estate fund with a transaction volume of €100 million.
In The Market
- Kaye Scholer Represents 328 Group in Sale of Aviation Companies to SN February 2, 2015 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Recognized for Litigation and Finance in Germany by Chambers Europe 2014 April 25, 2014 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Recognized in Six Practice Areas Worldwide in Chambers Global 2014 March 13, 2014 • Recognitions