Peter B. Wells is Counsel in Kaye Scholer’s Tax/Private Clients Department. Peter has a broad-based practice representing both US and international clients with respect to wealth planning and preservation. He counsels private clients, family-owned companies and corporate fiduciaries throughout the world in connection with domestic and foreign trust and holding company structures, management succession issues and wealth transfer arrangements. His practice includes multi-national families based in North and South America, Europe and Asia. Additionally, he focuses on family governance matters, such as arranging family or professional management succession, pre-immigration and expatriation planning, cross-border asset protection, tax compliance and reporting matters and tax-exempt organizations.
Peter’s experience includes:
- Advising clients regarding structures through which to invest in the US, including, in particular, investments in US real estate
- Counseling multi-generational and multi-national families and family offices in creating and maintaining long term and practical governance structures
- Assisting domestic clients with preparation of estate plans to minimize gift, estate and generation skipping tax exposure
- Providing pre-immigration planning to foreign individuals planning to establish residence in the US, as well as expatriation planning for US citizens who are relinquishing their citizenship
- Advising corporate fiduciaries and US beneficiaries of foreign trusts and/or estates on US tax issues and tax mitigation strategies
- Advising US citizens and residents living abroad with US income tax compliance issues and foreign bank account reporting