Choosing a Firm that Fits You
With all of the law firms out there, how do you decide which firm will be the best fit for you? Do you pick a firm that your friends recommend? Do you choose a firm based on suggestions from your law school’s career services professionals? We understand that the interviewing process can be daunting, but ultimately selecting the right firm is a very important decision for your career. Once you have identified what you would like to get out of your Summer Program experience, you can begin your search for the firm that is the right fit.
- Create a "wish list" by answering the following
- What do I want to get out of a Summer Program?
- How large of a firm/office do I feel comfortable working in?
- What type of law interests me? (it’s okay if you don’t know.)
- Where do I want to practice?
- What firm fits my ideals, personality?
- Do your homework
- Use Internet resources (Vault, Chambers, NALP, firm Web sites, Google, legal blogs).
- Schedule a meeting with your law school's career services center to have a conversation about your top choices. Most career services centers have close working relationships with firms, and have inside information that can be very helpful.
- Reach out to alumni of the firms in which you are interested. Recruiting Departments are more than happy to put you in touch with current attorneys and alumni.
- Speak with your peers. Reach out to law students at your school who have spent a summer at the firm.
- Get involved. If firm representatives are going to be on campus for an event (e.g., panel discussions, interview workshops), you should attend and participate. This gives you first-hand access to the firm's lawyers.
- Attend 1L events. Many firms hold cocktail receptions during your 1L year (either during the school year or the summer). If possible, you should attend and take the time to mingle with lawyers.
- Narrow down your selection to those firms that meet at least 80 percent of your "wish list" based on the questions you asked yourself.
- On Campus Interviews - Bid on the firms that fit your criteria.
- Apply directly through the career page on a firm's website.