Julie du Pont is Counsel in the Complex Commercial Litigation Department of Kaye Scholer and key member of the Product Liability group. Her practice focuses on mass tort pharmaceutical product liability litigation as well as complex commercial litigation and government investigations. Julie has extensive state and federal court experience representing major US and international corporations and individual clients in all phases of the litigation process, including motion practice, discovery, trial preparation and trial, and settlement and appeals. Julie has substantial experience representing pharmaceutical companies, including Pfizer, Novartis, Bayer, Endo Pharmaceuticals, Boston Scientific and AstraZeneca, in product liability lawsuits involving both prescription drugs and medical devices.
Julie has extensive experience in expert and science related work and a focus of her practice is developing and rebutting expert medical and scientific evidence, and litigating the admissibility of expert opinion testimony. Julie is currently coordinating the expert and science defense for Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc. in the TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) multi-district litigation. She recently coordinated the expert and science defense for Bayer Corporation in a case alleging injuries from its prescription oral contraceptive, Yasmin. For several years, Julie coordinated the expert and science teams defending claims relating to hormone therapy (HT) products. In that role, she presented on the “State of the Science” in federal court, assisted in the preparation of expert witnesses for several Daubert/Frye hearings, and was critical in developing the expert defense to secure several defense verdicts, most notably in Moss, et al. v. Wyeth, Inc., et al. (D. Conn. May 2012) and Wilson v. Wyeth, et al. (E. D. Ark. Oct 2010).
Prior to rejoining Kaye Scholer in 2015, Julie served as a consulting attorney to the legal department of Boehringer Ingelheim, where she oversaw litigation, most notably the Pradaxa MDL litigation, and was an integral team member working on an international initiative related to eDiscovery, Data Privacy and Information Governance.
Julie is committed to the firm's pro bono program and has worked with clients on a variety of matters, including orders of protection, divorce and social security benefits.
She is a member of the New York City Bar’s Product Liability Committee.
Publications and Presentations
- Credited Contributor, “The Restatement Sections Specifically Applicable to Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Cases in State Court: A 50-State Survey,” American Bar Association, 2004.
- ABA Panel Member, “The Increasing Attempts to Use U.S. Courts by Foreign Plaintiffs,” Pharmaceutical Regional CLE Workshop: Current Issues in Pharmaceutical Law and Policy, 2006.
In The Market
- Judge Grants Pfizer’s Motion for Summary Judgment in Zoloft MDL April 7, 2016 • 新闻公告
- Judge Excludes Testimony from Plaintiff’s Latest General Causation Expert in Pfizer Zoloft MDL December 8, 2015 • 新闻公告
- Preemption Victory on Motion to Dismiss for ANDA-Approved Product in TRT Litigation November 10, 2015 • 新闻公告